GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R 7.5 TCU Tune

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure. I'm still waiting for an email that tells me the tune is ready for download. I submitted my TCU's ID to ED on the 13th of July.

Do you have a cable? You can just plug it in and check the database

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
Do you have a cable? You can just plug it in and check the database

Yes.

UPDATE:

Stage 1 DQ380 tune downloaded, installed and tested to a limited capacity.

Sport Mode:

Response on upshifts seems more immediate. Shifts feel sharper and faster but I cant quantify the exact amount. It is noticeable. The gears also hold longer in cruise before upshifting. Prior to the flash, sport mode would row through all 7 gears rather quickly which meant that during a sudden WOT situation, the car would hesitate for a second, then kickdown and accelerate. There is no shift lag or drop in rpm during an upshift at high RPMs in Sport mode. The car kicks into the next gear with urgency and continues to pull. I am on Eurodyne stage 2 file at 25psi and 93 octane. When coming to a stop, the car bucks and clunks less as the downshifts seem "timed" better to engine speed and deceleration. A welcomed behavior although I need more time to test the repeat-ability of this.

Launch Mode in Sport: TBA

Manual Mode:

First, manual mode is "true" manual mode. No auto kickdown which is a MUCH desired improvement. Shifts are crisp and sudden. Car grabs the next gear with authority. What I like the most is that when I go WOT in 1st, I know the car will hold my gear until I say so (again, true manual is how this mode should be to begin with). I've also noticed that the car holds onto the gear before automatically downshifting when coming to a stop. It will downshift to 1 if you forget to stop but waits until the very last second. Interestingly enough, the downshifting performance is about the same.

Cost:

6 credits are required. I purchased one credit and a 5 credit bundle as 6 credit bundles are not an option. The overall cost was roughly 375 dollars USD.

Flashing:

I used the flash cable that I purchased the Stage 2 file. Installation took about 4 minutes.

Adaptation:

I did NOT run the adaptation. The car may not need it but if there is a benefit to running it, I certainly can using the EDs flash utility under "diagnostics"

To Come:

Sport Mode Launch Control with ESP OFF
Manual Mode Launch Control with ESP OFF
Long term cruise and sudden WOT transition repeatability
Long term deceleration in Sport mode, coming to a stop

Notes: I do not use "D" or normal mode but I will use "Comfort" when crossing rail road tracks. I have yet to drive in these modes for longer duration's of time.

Last edited:

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Inigo, any updates to your review? I have the Eurodyne cable on the way and I'm definitely doing the 1.5 93 octane tune, but haven't decided if I'll toss up the money for their TCU tune right away or not.

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
Inigo, any updates to your review? I have the Eurodyne cable on the way and I'm definitely doing the 1.5 93 octane tune, but haven't decided if I'll toss up the money for their TCU tune right away or not.

So far, the tune has been wonderful with no ill side effects to date. I do think the tcu tune is worth the money and hopefully, further updates come to pass, enabling even sharper response, shift timing adjust ability and improved logic (although the logic is very good already...)

I would spend the money on the TCU tune as the greatest benefit is true manual mode.

Walls

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine doesn't show S1 S2 S3 or D1 D2 D3 etc in sport or drive. Not sure if it supposed. It will also auto up shift in manual mode.

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
It should if you reach the r limit for that gear but it will not downshift when you floor it.

Walls

Passed Driver's Ed
The only time if should shift in manual mode is when the pull the paddle or the rpms get to low for that gear it will down shift to a lower gear.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Mine doesn't show S1 S2 S3 or D1 D2 D3 etc in sport or drive. Not sure if it supposed. It will also auto up shift in manual mode.

I have the same issue with the S1/D1 etc not showing. Emailed Eurodyne and they said it has been doing that on some cars and they are working to figure out why and will update once it's solved.

I believe I had it shift up in manual mode once as well, but I think I may have been spinning the tires. I know the stock logic will do that so maybe that portion isn't overridden? I didn't have a chance to try and recreate the situation yet so that's why I say "I believe" it happened.

Walls

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same issue with the S1/D1 etc not showing. Emailed Eurodyne and they said it has been doing that on some cars and they are working to figure out why and will update once it's solved.

I believe I had it shift up in manual mode once as well, but I think I may have been spinning the tires. I know the stock logic will do that so maybe that portion isn't overridden? I didn't have a chance to try and recreate the situation yet so that's why I say "I believe" it happened.

I'm going to reflash it tonight and see if that fixes it

Last edited:

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
I tried launch control for the first time this morning since installing the TCU tune and it didn't work as I expected it to.

Stock it would hold rock steady at 4k rpm until you let off the brake.

This morning it would stop at 4k, but only for a couple seconds, then it would continue to rev higher (I let off the gas, but it looked like the limiter was off, not moved).

Has anyone else experienced this or is there something different to the procedure once the TCU tune is loaded?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I tried launch control for the first time this morning since installing the TCU tune and it didn't work as I expected it to.

Stock it would hold rock steady at 4k rpm until you let off the brake.

This morning it would stop at 4k, but only for a couple seconds, then it would continue to rev higher (I let off the gas, but it looked like the limiter was off, not moved).

Has anyone else experienced this or is there something different to the procedure once the TCU tune is loaded?

This sounds like a malfunction. This shouldn't be happening (unless you manually set the LC RPM above 4K)