GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. C7 Z06 - It's all about the driver!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The only thing I've ever owned that ran with boosted vettes (c7+) was my kenne belled Roush. The fkn problem with vettes is that they are devilishly light cars. They are such cheaters!

I agree the two cars aren't even in the same world. My car will beat stock c5s all day long from a roll but another friends dad has a stock c7 and after third gear the displacement calls my car a little bitch. My car is also entirely gutted and weighed at 2800 lbs with no gas or driver..

Remember, vettes are nearly similar in weight to a gutted golf R.. and about two to three hundred more hp

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
C7s are 3350-3450 pounds, the lightest c7s are 200 pounds heavier than the lightest c6s, so you’ve got quite the weight advantage at 2800 pounds.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Lol. Not enough to take on the 2-300 hp difference xD

:)
I hear ya bud, just meant you’re actually quite a bit lighter than a stock c7, for example. Go big turbo to try and take away the more cubes advantage in higher gears, at least that was my idea, but I haven’t been able to goat any c7s around town yet, it’s always somebody in a focus st or something trying to goat me lol

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Oh sure, its physics. Even if you had the same power the C7 is rwd with huge sticky tires in the rear. A heavily modified Golf R stands a chance.

Xdpker

Ready to race!
Was on my way home from the Phillies game with the wife and as we were coming onto the PA turnpike I was behind a new C7 Z06. I was in second gear and we both shot over to the left lane as no one was coming. I hit it and he hit it (I saw his back end drop and the exhaust started to scream). I stayed right with him through second and third and then I freaking missed fourth!

My wife couldn't believe I kept up with him. I thought it might have been a Grand Sport, but he slowed down and when I get next to him, sure enough, it was a Z06, driven by what would have looked like my father - early 70's with a full gray beard. He gave me the thumbs up and I did the same.

Basically, he should have roasted me. It all comes down to the driver. My father had a C6 Z06 and I know for a fact that he would have had a hard time beating me in my 2001 Boxster when I had it.

Lol sorry but no, I have a 986 boxster too and while I love that car, there is no way it could take a Z06. That thing has almost double the HP and does 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds. In the twisties with an inferior driver? That's a different story.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Oh sure, its physics. Even if you had the same power the C7 is rwd with huge sticky tires in the rear. A heavily modified Golf R stands a chance.

Honestly I'd take a hybrid gutted GTI 2 door tuned to the max against a vette before I tried with any R that weighs literally the same as them..

Weight is the only friend on your side in these scenarios

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Lol sorry but no, I have a 986 boxster too and while I love that car, there is no way it could take a Z06. That thing has almost double the HP and does 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds. In the twisties with an inferior driver? That's a different story.

It doesn't seem that many people understand what I mean by "the driver."

My father didn't run the car to redline and it took him more than a second to shift from one gear to the next. He drove it like "an old man" as I would kid with him. He just laughed and said "well, that's what I am!"

If you put me in his Z06 and he drove my Boxster, it was lights out. I would run to redline and shift MUCH quicker than he ever could.

People love to quote numbers, but in the real world, it's a completely different story.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion

My father didn't run the car to redline and it took him more than a second to shift from one gear to the next. He drove it like "an old man" as I would kid with him. He just laughed and said "well, that's what I am!"

If you put me in his Z06 and he drove my Boxster, it was lights out. I would run to redline and shift MUCH quicker than he ever could.

People love to quote numbers, but in the real world, it's a completely different story.

Maybe pops is just sandbagging, waiting till you race for $$$ :)

Xdpker

Ready to race!

....sorry I don't get it. Why are you even comparing to a subpar/not even trying driver then. Obviously you would beat your father if he's just puttering around. Skill matters but I thought your comparison was absurd. An average driver in the Z06 would roast Lewis Hamilton in the boxster in a straight line period.

digilio86

Ready to race!
Honestly I'd take a hybrid gutted GTI 2 door tuned to the max against a vette before I tried with any R that weighs literally the same as them..

Weight is the only friend on your side in these scenarios

Sounds like a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Lol, just cause you can afford to drive buy a car, doesn't mean you can drive it well. Often people in "expensive" cars or cars with a lot of horsepower are far too scared to even attempt to drive it well.

Y'all need to relax. His example literally was about how it doesn't matter how fast a car is if the driver only uses 10% they gonna lose...