GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the traction control (ESC) button to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave, do you need the factory switch for this or could you use any push button momentary switch and just wire in directly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any push button momentary switch should do in theory as that is all its doing except for the backlighting, but that is not part of the ABS coding. All the ABS unit requires is the momentary 12v signal.

You thinking a 007/military/fighter red flip switch?

x2001pmq

Any push button momentary switch should do in theory as that is all its doing except for the backlighting, but that is not part of the ABS coding. All the ABS unit requires is the momentary 12v signal.

You thinking a 007/military/fighter red flip switch?

Golfdave thanks for the quick reply ... I have some switchs lying around and was thinking of making a custom switch block with some aluminum. I haven't decided where to place it yet but nothing as big as a red flip switch ... that's to outrageous for my tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Wired it all up on my 2015 Golf TDI hatch. No luck :(

You had ASR switch off via touch screen before you did the mod??

Double checked all wiring is continuous & ok ,using multimeter, light bulb test?

Does the switch light up white with the others when the main lights are on???

Micah247

Ready to race!
You had ASR switch off via touch screen before you did the mod??

Double checked all wiring is continuous & ok ,using multimeter, light bulb test?

Does the switch light up white with the others when the main lights are on???

I do have that function in the touch screen and I do have a pin 5.

I'll check with a test light when I get home.

The switch does not light up white when the headlights are on. I didn't expect it to. I had no switches to begin with. I connected just pins 9&10. What pins give power to the white light in the switch?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I do have that function in the touch screen and I do have a pin 5.

I'll check with a test light when I get home.

The switch does not light up white when the headlights are on. I didn't expect it to. I had no switches to begin with. I connected just pins 9&10. What pins give power to the white light in the switch?

that's your problem, you had no switches down that side..you are missing additional wiring...pin 1 & pin 2 for earth & switched power for lumination

all the pictograms should light up white like the electric window switches when the headlight are on....

Last edited:

Micah247

Ready to race!
that's your problem, you had no switches down that side..you are missing additional wiring...

all the pictograms should light up white like the electric window switches when the headlight are on....

Ok. Pin 10 goes to Fuse 34 with a fuse tap.

What am I missing? I'll get more of the repair wires from the dealer, but where and what am I conncting?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

What am I missing? I'll get more of the repair wires from the dealer, but where and what am I conncting?

Wiring for the ESC is = So, the complete circuit for ESP on/off switch is: +12V supply from fuse 34 via a black/yellow wire to the ESP switch on the centre console (in the dash wiring loom). From the ESP switch, a purple/green wire goes to the ABS controller via "T17d" connector on the "TIUL coupling point" (the location of both of which I have shown in the pic below). When the ESP switch is "ON", it provides a +12V signal to pin 39 of the ABS Control module (i.e. J104)

so double check the other wire to the abs unit from the switch.

The other two pins are for the illumination of the buttons. The ESC switch should work without this, so I would fault find the other wire to the ABS unit first.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

You also do not need another fuse tap, you are wiring as per VW factory so that circuit is protected by fuse34.

cgentil

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

It's possible to get more options on Infotainment without the button?

Now I only have

02 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / Blank (Standard for most Golf’s)

I'd like to make it working

05 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC OFF

But I don't have the button, it's still possible to get this only on screen?

Anyway I tried to follow that instructions but byte 29 is empty, shows nothing.

Thanks.

vanery

Hello
I want to wear the esc button off the car. but connector T17 pin 1-5 is empty. there is another option to attach this button.
Thank you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To Vanery

You will have to run a wire from the ABS unit the pin number is in wiring description..

Wire type & general description for routing this is as per the TMPS switch retro fit that I did as this uses another pin on the ABS unit..

vanery

To Vanery

You will have to run a wire from the ABS unit the pin number is in wiring description..

Wire type & general description for routing this is as per the TMPS switch retro fit that I did as this uses another pin on the ABS unit..

Thank you for answer.
I think of Abs control unit pin 39. [emoji848]
Is it right ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thank you for answer.
I think of Abs control unit pin 39. [emoji848]
Is it right ?

YES pin 39 on the ABS unit is for the ESC switch...as marked (TSC/ESP) on the ABS wiring diagram

vanery

YES pin 39 on the ABS unit is for the ESC switch...as marked (TSC/ESP) on the ABS wiring diagram

I don't understand
ABS UNIT = pin39
Esc Button= ?? ( which pin. It is normally pin9-10)

I did not understand how a 1 cable going to ABS would work. ?

Thank you