GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audison sound system upgrade for MkVII

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
I can't pass judgement on the helix system yet. It needs to be flashed it seems and it is not set for the golf mk7 out of the box. I'm going to order the dongle and get it flashed.
Quality are you going to 3d print or make some fiberglass pillars?

They'll be glassed. I won't actually be doing the build this time. I'm in a new unit and will be deploying at least once per year and have a number of trainings to go to this year as well. I'm handing it off to my friend Bing at Simplicity In Sound (www.simplicityinsound.com)

Joncoulson

Ready to race!
The door woofers? That's going to be hard to do and won't sound very good. JL's 8s are subs, not mids. If you mean in place of the hatch sub then I'd suggest going with a larger sub.

I meant the sub I'm pretty happy with the the sound of everything else the subs just lack to me the bass is very tight if I could get away with a 10 in the spare tire I would do that.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
Depends on what kinda music you listen to. Fender sounds better than any OEM system I've ever heard. Well, at least for bassy electronic music. What makes you say it sucks?

The fact that it sucks is what makes me say it sucks. The response is wildly uneven, the "sub" doesn't play low OR loud, there's no clarity anywhere in the entire range and it's underpowered.

Just because it's the best you've heard doesn't mean it's good. It just means you haven't heard a truly good in-car system.

Cyberstasz

It's a Golf...

And this system is about as "optimized" as the OEM systems are. Your best option for a lower cost upgrade is to add more power, a processor, and a real sub. The OEM speakers aren't bad at all, just horribly underpowered and then there's the loudness function built into the HU.

I will be doing something quite a bit more involved, however the only "hacking" that will happen will be the dash pods for the mid and tweeter. If you think cars get "hacked up" to do a great system then you haven't been around too many well done cars.

When saying optimized I was thinking in terms of space. I have an '01 CRV that I built a custom box for that occupies the entire cargo area and reflects sound off the rear window into the entire cabin. IMHO it provides very good sound quality (for an auto) but it came as a trade-off for space. A plus is I have the cargo cover so I or would-be thieves can't see it. I didn't want to do that again for this car as the box could all be hidden underneath in the spare tire compartment.

Dash pods? I have not seen these and by the description wouldn't consider it. The visual in my mind is obtrusive. Modifications or lack thereof are a matter of taste. I tend to like clean appearances that the factory delivers. Something to consider also is custom modifications are not engineered into the car - relating to fit-n-finish, reliability/durability.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
The MkVII has a GANG of space to use, especially if you don't mind moving the floor to the upper position. Even if you don't there's still plenty of room.

Pods can be very, very small or quite the opposite. It's all about driver selection and what your goals are. I have friend that has pods that are 100% invisible. His Civic has the same quarter Windows our cars do and they went in there. Mine will be more on axis but should be able to be tucked far enough back that there is no obstruction.

Here's the quick for test fit I did.

And so you can see how much room they don't take up.

A friend of mine does a LOT of pods. You can see them here: www.simplicityinsound.com

While the Audison system may make great use of the space in the car, any half-decent installer could do the same thing and get you a far better end product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joncoulson

Ready to race!
I want good rich bass! I listen to a lot of hard rock and a little rap mostly 90's stuff. I drive 100 miles a day and listen to the radio all the time so I don't mind spending some money on a decent set up gonna try the dongle first. You think I could use the existing soundbox amp for a separate woofer like a Jl 10? I have a mono Memphis audio 500w amp that I'm not using and a Memphis pr10 dvc just laying around but it's old.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I'm guessing you are a diymobileaudio resident? I've done 3 builds on there or so. If you don't mind let me know how much you pay for the pillars. I would considering getting a set as well.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
I want good rich bass! I listen to a lot of hard rock and a little rap mostly 90's stuff. I drive 100 miles a day and listen to the radio all the time so I don't mind spending some money on a decent set up gonna try the dongle first. You think I could use the existing soundbox amp for a separate woofer like a Jl 10? I have a mono Memphis audio 500w amp that I'm not using and a Memphis pr10 dvc just laying around but it's old.

While there's no technical reason you couldn't use the OEM amp to drive an aftermarket sub, the results would be less than spectacular. It would be horribly underpowered. Old doesn't mean bad. Just use what you have.

I'm guessing you are a diymobileaudio resident? I've done 3 builds on there or so. If you don't mind let me know how much you pay for the pillars. I would considering getting a set as well.

I am. I'm not having Bing do just the pods. he's going to have the car for 2-3 weeks while I'm in training before I deploy.

jitaroo

I hope it's ok bringing up this thread, but I'm having a tough time finding anyone online talking about how the audison sound pack sounds from actual experience. I've never used audison equipment before, nor even a dsp in my car. In my last car all I did was replace the door speakers and add two subs. While it was loud, it wasn't very clear sounding at all!

I've checked with my local VW and audison dealers, and the audison is essentially double the price of the helix sound upgrade kit. Now with the helix kit, what I've read online isn't very encouraging. That's why I'm hoping someone has installed the audison pack and can give an opinion as to how it sounds. I've seriously considered getting something like a bitOne and do the tuning myself but I don't know if I'll get it sounding as good as this kit would since I've never tuned a system before.

ABHORRANCE

I hope it's ok bringing up this thread, but I'm having a tough time finding anyone online talking about how the audison sound pack sounds from actual experience. I've never used audison equipment before, nor even a dsp in my car. In my last car all I did was replace the door speakers and add two subs. While it was loud, it wasn't very clear sounding at all!

I've checked with my local VW and audison dealers, and the audison is essentially double the price of the helix sound upgrade kit. Now with the helix kit, what I've read online isn't very encouraging. That's why I'm hoping someone has installed the audison pack and can give an opinion as to how it sounds. I've seriously considered getting something like a bitOne and do the tuning myself but I don't know if I'll get it sounding as good as this kit would since I've never tuned a system before.

What did you end up doing? I have been doing a lot of homework and trying to decide between the Helix system, or a JL subwoofer (which omits DSP and cabin amp, but can be added later). I have a couple local Audison dealers who have a good deal on the Golf sub alone... (the entire Plug-N-Play system is about $2K, and as someone else said, for that kind of money, you can build a much better system). ...and one of these dealers is recommending against the Audison in favor of JL, at a much lower price. (I've never had Audison gear, but I had my 2006 Jetta TDI outfittied with Hertz speakers, and ARC amps, and it kept up in sound quality with my B&W Speakers and Integrated Amp at home).

That said, the JL Audio Sealed PowerWedge CS110LG-TW3 is only 4.5" deep (plus grille), and fits face down beneath the hatch floor (like the Audison Prima box, but much smaller). Totally concealed, and a JL JX250 amp is matched for it, and modestly priced for a decent mono-block. Another great option, is something like an ARC XDI 850.5 or Hertz HCP5D 5-Channel amp for both cabin speakers, and sub.
NOTE: If you are really on a budget, JL makes the ACS110LG-TW1: Single 10TW1 PowerWedge+ with DCD Amplifier. This however is about a quarter inch taller than the floor allows in the upper position...the hatch floor will latch snug, but sticks up a little on the sides (hidden by cargo block carpet).

jitaroo

What did you end up doing? I have been doing a lot of homework and trying to decide between the Helix system, or a JL subwoofer (which omits DSP and cabin amp, but can be added later). I have a couple local Audison dealers who have a good deal on the Golf sub alone... (the entire Plug-N-Play system is about $2K, and as someone else said, for that kind of money, you can build a much better system). ...and one of these dealers is recommending against the Audison in favor of JL, at a much lower price. (I've never had Audison gear, but I had my 2006 Jetta TDI outfittied with Hertz speakers, and ARC amps, and it kept up in sound quality with my B&W Speakers and Integrated Amp at home).

That said, the JL Audio Sealed PowerWedge CS110LG-TW3 is only 4.5" deep (plus grille), and fits face down beneath the hatch floor (like the Audison Prima box, but much smaller). Totally concealed, and a JL JX250 amp is matched for it, and modestly priced for a decent mono-block. Another great option, is something like an ARC XDI 850.5 or Hertz HCP5D 5-Channel amp for both cabin speakers, and sub.
NOTE: If you are really on a budget, JL makes the ACS110LG-TW1: Single 10TW1 PowerWedge+ with DCD Amplifier. This however is about a quarter inch taller than the floor allows in the upper position...the hatch floor will latch snug, but sticks up a little on the sides (hidden by cargo block carpet).

Budget wasn't really the issue with me, I wanted the highest quality I could get given the fact that we don't have people here who can install quality sound systems and tune them to the car.

I did get the system and I'm in love with it! I don't have anything to compare it to other than a Burmeister system from a Porsche, and I'd say it's comparable to that. It's very loud and the sound quality is superb. I'm very happy with this decision :)