GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI 1.8: What do you think of the 5-speed manual??

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
The gearing in the QSY code gearbox of the 1.8TSI is very long. I believe fifth gear at redline would be about 230mph. The ratios of the VII 1.8TSI are not as sporty as the IV 1.8T which was more closely geared.

The stock 5 speed gear selector feel is fairly well isolated by the rubber bushings at the cable ends which deflect a fair bit to give a smooth feeling in use. It works and is inoffensive but it seems intent on isolation not involvement. Golfdave spent quite a bit of time writing about how to modify the MQ250 shifter.

The fore/aft shift throw can be shortened by the usual method of installing a component from the TT and the feel of the gear selection action increased by adding the bushing kit from 42 Draft Designs.

After modification the shifter gives more feeling for gear engagement. At the end of fore/aft travel there is now some info to be found through the fingers rather than a dull but smooth end of travel. The changes trade some smoothness for some feeling.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Only had mine 10 days.
Platinum gray as well.

Clutch travel is a little long, so I sit a little closer than I would like. Definitely not a deal breaker though

Clutch engagement is very smooth and light. You can definitely feel where it catches so to speak. Also for stop and go traffic, you can launch from idle (could never do that in my Honda)

The shifter I thought was accurate and offers decent feel. Never missed a shift. Doesn't give the click click feel like a Honda shifter though but again, the difference is not huge.

I wanted fender and sunroof etc, but didn't just for the sake of getting the manual and I don't miss any of that other stuff.

If you are apt to heel and toe,I don't think placement of brake and throttle are ideal. Maybe with more aggressive driving and stronger braking, it's fine, but in casual driving, placement is awkward.

drummerboy

Nice! That sounds exactly like my thought process. Manual vs Sunroof, manual ultimately won. And I'm glad it did. This car is a blast to drive. :) I love being able to launch!! Couldnt do that in my old car either.

ezshift5

......Manual vs Sunroof, manual ultimately won.

I'm really considering the GSW S 1.8 TSI/5M.

Hate to lose my JSW TDI 6M. (VW is offering me my 2013 $$$ - a TSI purchase would actually provide some leftover bonus cash)................................

Must learn how to effectively deal with the MPG difference (I'm working on it!) TSI/5M - per Fuelly.com - highway mileage can run 40 - 44 on a good day.

I sure hope I can beat that!

ez

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'm really considering the GSW S 1.8 TSI/5M.

Hate to lose my JSW TDI 6M. (VW is offering me my 2013 $$$ - a TSI purchase would actually provide some leftover bonus cash)................................

Must learn how to effectively deal with the MPG difference (I'm working on it!) TSI/5M - per Fuelly.com - highway mileage can run 40 - 44 on a good day.

I sure hope I can beat that!

ez

The easiest way to deal with the mpg difference is to enjoy the power difference and better suspension

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
ok, so heres honest review from someone pushing the car very hard. 5mt is great for ROLL racing because gearing is amazing but ONLY after you do CDV removal and Stopper bushing. Shifting is smooth as butter and so far on stock clutch its holding my is20 e30/12" setup, roughly (300whp/340wtq) driving around on the bigger turbo its a tad bit more laggy but nothing that will annoy you.

That being said i have 33k miles on the car now, and I upgraded turbo at 10k miles on the dash. so I've been abusing it quite a lot. I vote auto if its your wife car. Manual if you wanna go fast.

anjoVW

Ready to race!
ok, so heres honest review from someone pushing the car very hard. 5mt is great for ROLL racing because gearing is amazing but ONLY after you do CDV removal and Stopper bushing. Shifting is smooth as butter and so far on stock clutch its holding my is20 e30/12" setup, roughly (300whp/340wtq) driving around on the bigger turbo its a tad bit more laggy but nothing that will annoy you.

That being said i have 33k miles on the car now, and I upgraded turbo at 10k miles on the dash. so I've been abusing it quite a lot. I vote auto if its your wife car. Manual if you wanna go fast.

Any issues when upgrading to IS20?

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!

So the stock clutch can handle a tune huh?

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
Yup, it lasted a long time for me. Upgraded now southbend stage 2 endurance, with is38 water meth +jb4 stack. So far so good

Finally stated slipping at 45-50k miles. Abused dailys and dynod 357wtq. On the is20

So on the stock is12, a tune shouldn't bother it, perfect. Might just get mounts and a tune then