GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC dead at 21k miles

GTI_Mitchell

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S w/ PP
I need some help/advice folks.

Went to the dealer today and learned my AC system is busted (it only blows warm air). I'm being told that a membrane in the Dryer comes apart and then contaminates the entire system, and the pressures between the two ends of the system equalize. This requires a new Compressor, Receiver Valve and Dryer, for a total of about $2000.

Relevant history: I've had intermittent issues with the AC since I bought it at 13.4k miles, so before my warranty was about to expire in April, I brought it in and they said it needed some O-ring on the compressor replaced, and they sent me on my way. It did seem more reliable after that, but after another month it started getting intermittent again. This past weekend I was on a road trip and it would cut out for 5 mins at a time, until eventually around hour 4, it cut out entirely and stayed off for about 6 hours of driving time. It came on again on Monday, but I took it in today to figure out what was wrong. This is when I got that diagnosis.

The dealer assumed it would be a "courtesy claim" since I'd been in for AC work before my warranty expired, but when he called the claims department they weren't interested. I've since called VW myself and they're going to escalate it and call me back.

My question: is anyone familiar with this problem? Has anyone had a similar experience with the VW claims department that turned out positive that could give me some tips on how to play this?
As I said I'm at 21,000 miles right now so I'm pretty disappointed a part like this is already failing. Hopefully it's just a bad part and wouldn't be an ongoing issue if I do get this repair done eventually. I searched the forum and it doesn't seem to be a common issue, but the service rep at the dealer said they do this job on the 2.0L turbos a lot.

Thanks for any help.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So you are over the 3 years since can was new?

Was there any different warranty mentioned when you purchased it?
You have only driven 7,600 miles so wondered what warranty was listed when you purchased?

Since they serviced it prior you also have a case started on this issue.
Some will know more than me but if no warranty left I would ask for a case to be opened with VWoA regarding an existing issue that started while car was under warranty and carried over.

GTI_Mitchell

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S w/ PP
Yes 3 year warranty expired near the end of April. When I bought it, it just had the remaining factory warranty on it and a 90 day Autotrader thing for purchase protection essentially.

Yeah I've got the case opened so hopefully something will come of that.

liljonny16

Ready to race!
When I bought my CC in 2012 at around 1200 miles I had an issue where when I was reversing into a parking spot, the car would die. Took it in and they couldn't diagnose it. I think I took it one more time a few thousand miles later. Long story short, I was at 39K on the highway when my HPFP died. It took a month or two but the dealership was finally able to convince VW to reimburse me for it since I had been having a known issue since the beginning.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
This was a big issue on the 2006-2007 GTI’s.

You might be able to have the VW goodwill part of it. At an indie this job is $1,500-$1,600.

Mine failed just out of warranty on my MK5 and VW goodwilled 80% of it. On my ex-wife’s MK6 hers went after 6 years, it was a $1,500 repair at an indie.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
If you're handy with tools, do the job yourself and then have a shop put the system under vacuum and refill it. Or, if you're really handy, rent a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set from Autozone and do everything yourself.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
If you're handy with tools, do the job yourself and then have a shop put the system under vacuum and refill it. Or, if you're really handy, rent a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set from Autozone and do everything yourself.

If his compressor let go there’s bits of metal in the system. So the whole system needs to be flushed with a special machine.

Unfortunately not a DYI job.