GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Unofficial New England Introduce yourself Thread!

c_thur

Central Mass-ish.

Picked up my white 2018 GTI SE 6spd ~2 weeks ago. Just scheduled my first oil change ~1700 miles (I adhered strictly to break-in procedure...I am just impatient). Probably going to have the OEM mud splash guards installed because winters.

In the mean time...just easing back into VW life after a run of Mazda. I had an A2 GLI that actively tried to kill me more times than I care to remember, so I'm crossing my fingers. The 6 year warranty enticed me over, but now it seems that's only because every item on the car is a wear item now (the entire headlight assembly? seriously?).

Daily driver so no big plans. I know I plan to pick up some Hakkas for winter, so I will likely also get an actual summer tire instead of the all seasons. A small rear sway bar if I feel particularly moddy.

I leave it in eco mode. That seems easiest to drive smoothly and still boosts if you get on it.

felipe.dm

In Brighton but find myself in Westboro/Framingham area for work a lot.
Just picked up a 2018 Golf R DSG in indium grey. Picked it up last Saturday, close to ~600 miles so far.. I've been somewhat babying it.. I find myself switching a lot in the drive modes between eco and custom.
Want to get a tint and a clearbra installed on it, but not sure where to take it to.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just picked up a 2018 Golf R DSG in indium grey. Picked it up last Saturday, close to ~600 miles so far.. I've been somewhat babying it.. I find myself switching a lot in the drive modes between eco and custom.
Want to get a tint and a clearbra installed on it, but not sure where to take it to.

Do the clear bra as soon as possible. Get the 3M stuff.

That was the only mistake I made with my car. 33k miles and the paint looks like the car has 100k. Paint on these cars chips if you look at it wrong.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie

You want Xpel ultimate best of the best. Head to autonuvo in Holliston. They are one of the top installers in the country. You can tell them Anthony sent ya. Ive had mine full front done two years ago and it looks brand new every day

kdub808

Ready to race!

Tint works in Burlington did an awesome job with my R. Even got the little windows up front.

I would suggest going darker than MA legal 35% though. 35% just doesn't seem dark enough. Ask them to put samples of 15, 25, and 35 on the light table to get a sense for the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Tint works in Burlington did an awesome job with my R. Even got the little windows up front.

I would suggest going darker than MA legal 35% though. 35% just doesn't seem dark enough. Ask them to put samples of 15, 25, and 35 on the light table to get a sense for the difference.

Tint works is where I got mine done. The owner has won national awards for his work and is a good guy.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie

Don’t go darker. You won’t pass inspection anymore in mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

That's a great tip, thanks! I was hoping to find a place that would do the little front windows without balking. What brand of tint did you get, and did you get any kind of IR-blocking film? I'm really concerned about heat blocking because my car bakes in the sun all day with no shade.

felipe.dm

Thanks for the tips guys.. I'll heed the advice and get the clearbra.. or xpel? i've never heard of this @tonipepperoni77

@kevin, iwhat %did you go with? same % on all windows?
Shame about 35% limit here. I might be moving back to TX in the near distant future and wanted to get ceramic coated tint for its effectiveness back in the heat.

Cheers

dadwagen

Just joined the GTI club this month - got a 2018 DSG SE in Night Blue Metallic. This thing is amazing - and the picture doesn't do the paint color justice!

I use this as a family hauler, and am amazed how well it fits two child seats (one forward, one rear-facing) without sacrificing too much space up front. Given its current role, I won't be doing too much modding aside from some aesthetic changes (red badgeskins for the front/rear logos, deAutoLED red footwell lights, pinalloy paddle shifters) until the warranty expires... but that's 6 years away. I'm thrilled with the car just as it is, aside from the tires (looking forward to getting blizzaks and replacing the all-seasons once they are worn).

I traded in a 4-year old Forester which, while it was reliable and kept its value amazingly well, it was like driving a refrigerator (and the 6MT that came with it was probably the worst-designed manual I have ever driven).

Attachments

• GTI3.jpg
    GTI3.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

moebius

howdy - just got a new to me, one previous owner '15 Golf SEL, black/black.. 35k miles, nice little car down in east bay RI.
And I have a HEX-CAN / VCDS/Vagcom if someone needs it.

See ya'll around!

Last edited: