GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed
VIR is the bomb diggity. It looks like you were doing the full course. I raced CCS back in 2003 campaigning a 1993 Suzuki GS500E with full fairings. I did VIR that season and we did the North Course. Easily my favorite track (close second is Road Atlanta, third is Jennings in N. Florida) on a bike, but I've not done a track day in a car there. I did a few track days in my Abarth years back in New Jersey and that was a hoot. I imagine the GTI will be even better, perfect if I do one at VIR. Thanks for the videos. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

MotoAmerica is racing there in April btw so if you enjoy bike roadracing, you should check it out.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
VIR is the bomb diggity. It looks like you were doing the full course. I raced CCS back in 2003 campaigning a 1993 Suzuki GS500E with full fairings. I did VIR that season and we did the North Course. Easily my favorite track (close second is Road Atlanta, third is Jennings in N. Florida) on a bike, but I've not done a track day in a car there. I did a few track days in my Abarth years back in New Jersey and that was a hoot. I imagine the GTI will be even better, perfect if I do one at VIR. Thanks for the videos. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

MotoAmerica is racing there in April btw so if you enjoy bike roadracing, you should check it out.

I will have to check that out.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Getting ready to go to VIR next week end

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
New front Zimmerman rotors are in. First time using these rotors. I am interested to see how these hold up on track compared to the VW rotors.

New SRF brake fluid scheduled for Friday and then off to VIR on Sunday. Weather is forecast to be rain and shine. That should make things interesting.

Last edited:

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Looks like a fun track! I did a track day last weekend with my stock '17 GTI w/PP at NJMP Thunderbolt and had a blast. I'm definitely planning to upgrade tires from the stock Hankooks and upgrading brake pads before my next track day. Stock PP brakes did pretty good IMO. VIR looks fun and isn't too far from me. Might be my next stop! Nice driving in the vids, btw.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Looks like a fun track! I did a track day last weekend with my stock '17 GTI w/PP at NJMP Thunderbolt and had a blast. I'm definitely planning to upgrade tires from the stock Hankooks and upgrading brake pads before my next track day. Stock PP brakes did pretty good IMO. VIR looks fun and isn't too far from me. Might be my next stop! Nice driving in the vids, btw.

Thanks.

Spent Mon/Tue at VIR. Dropped my time to a 2:19. Ran 2:20’s consistently. Front end grip and brakes are a limiting factor in a stock PP GTi.

VIR is a great track to run. It’s a power circuit with 3 long straights but it also has some very technical sections.

I’m fighting with Harry’s LapTimer to get the overlay onto my GoPro footage.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
OK. Got my GoPro video processed from VIR.

I didn’t get my air deflectors fitted to my front brakes. I remove the dust shields. I backed up my braking by one brake marker. This gave me better control going into T1 and T14.

I tried carrying more speed up the uphill esses, but whenever I did, I pushed through T9 which got me offline for the turn-in to T10 compromising my cornerspeed through 10. Not sure I can squeeze any more out of sector 3.

https://youtu.be/SdVGE_zn5h0

This is why our cars need more front camber and caster.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

bcgti

Ready to race!
Nice vids and solid driving! Looks like a tough field whenever there's a straight. I can't get over that red Dodge Challenger, didn't think those could be hustled through the corners that well.

Thanks for posting up the vids.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nice vids and solid driving! Looks like a tough field whenever there's a straight. I can't get over that red Dodge Challenger, didn't think those could be hustled through the corners that well.

Thanks for posting up the vids.

With only 220hp, the straights are always a challenge. The GTi is strong through the high speed corners. You can see me struggling to hold the front end through T9. On the 1st video (lap23)you can see me get a run on the boxster on the uphill esses and I get way loose when I have to get out of the throttle heading to T10 to avoid running into him.

That was a Hellcat and the guy can drive. I had to eat crow as I also thought that it was a straightline machine. He is on street tires and can get around high speed corners faster than I can. Brake zones and slow corners are the challenging areas for the Hellcat.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Is anyone running with Potomac Audi at VIR on 11/3-4 ?

Will be checking the GTi over. Need to flush fluids and add my Titanium heat shields to the brake pads. I will add new temp strips and see what the max temps will be with heat shields and S3 brake air deflectors.

Last edited: