GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil temperatures - Can I control them better?

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
Good evening

I write this having had my 2.0tdi DSG from new for 6 months now, having racked up 12.5k miles with most of them at high speed [emoji592][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]

My concern is firstly to prolong the life of the engine and its components by bringing down running oil temperatures from around 116*C to 110* or less. Not including DPF regens...
Secondly, gain more knowledge of wether my driving habits to take a chill for the benefit of myself, others and the car.

And finally, if a modification cannot be made, would half interval oil changes be the best route to take.

Many thanks for your kind words in advance
Connor

And finally, if a modification cannot be made, would half interval oil changes be the best route to take.
this ^^
Use VW 507 00 Shell Helix Ultra Professional 0W-30 or similar and swap it more frequently.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The VR6s run 115-120 degrees on the oil in the summer at high speed too. Modern oils can cope.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
The VR6s run 115-120 degrees on the oil in the summer at high speed too. Modern oils can cope.

Yeah my friend has a VR6 in a Bora and he see's temperatures similar

The oil can certainly take it, its just if I can rein it in a bit it would help when I dont have the time or distance to allow the oil to cool to working temp before switching off.

It's not a massive concern but with the mileage I do, I know for sure I'm going to have to hang onto the car and look after it the best I can

Besides the half interval oil changes, you could try this:
He's got a Euro spec TDI. ;)

Lower Oil Temperatures 8-15 Degrees C Lower
I strongly doubt it lower oil temp by "8 to 15° C". ;)

You don't even want that. Modern engines are designed to run at increased
oil temps (100° C and above). This ensures that water and (Diesel and even
more so canola methyl ester) fuel are boiling out, partly at least. If the oil
doesn't get that hot the fuel, particularly CME, is accumulating in the motor
oil, inevitably causing residues, oil detoriation and affecting lubrication.

These engines are designed that way for a reason! ;)

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The oil won't cool much on idle; if you're lucky it will drop to approx 100, i.e. the water temp you inevitably get while idling. All you really need to do is let the turbo spin down before shutting off the engine, and frankly unless you park like an idiot chances are you'll struggle to prevent that happening..!

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
He's got a Euro spec TDI. ;)

I strongly doubt it lower oil temp by "8 to 15° C". ;)

You don't even want that. Modern engines are designed to run at increased
oil temps (100° C and above). This ensures that water and (Diesel and even
more so canola methyl ester) fuel are boiling out, partly at least. If the oil
doesn't get that hot the fuel, particularly CME, is accumulating in the motor
oil, inevitably causing residues, oil detoriation and affecting lubrication.

These engines are designed that way for a reason! ;)

Very good points sir (I didn't even realize it's a diesel). Still I would like to try that pan to see how it works, the plastic one looks super cheap.

I'd almost bet the EA288 TDI engines still got aluminium pans, for acoustical reasons at least.

Granted, I'd wish the EA888 3G got an aluminium pan, however the plastic pan isn't that bad.
Just the lower half is PA (while the upper half is aluminium) and it's got a very high glass-fibre
content. I wouldn't worry about its reliability as I wouldn't about oil temps on a TDI.

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!

Things are looking well
Driven 270miles over 5 hours in bad traffic and happy to report that temps are lower following a DPF regen the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mine runs at 216° Fahrenheit, (roughly 102°C) so it seems pretty spot on. Would running cooler oil help your engine that much? I try not to boost until I am at least 180°F (82°C) so cooling oil temps 15°C as claimed by the finned oil pan would put me at roughly 157°F (69°C). I've always been told by enthusiasts to wait until normal operating temps to boost and drive hard, are these lower temps sufficient for boost?

Again, I promise you that alu pan won't lower oil temp down to 157°F/69°C. ;)
Actually they claim to lower oil temp by "8 to 15° C", though even this is hard
to believe. That said, oil temps lower that 100°C aren't even desirable. You'd
want both water and fuel to boil out on your daily commutes.