GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full color change vinyl wrap

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
With the Nardo add gloss black on the roof.
You have to redo the hatch spoiler so wrap in gloss black and put Maxtor back on.
Good luck. It is frustrating work.

I’m saving the roof and mirrors for last, depending on how much material I have left they’ll probably go gloss black.

Spoiler needs re done either way so it doesn’t matter which I choose. Dumb mistake lol, it happens though

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
oh man, this is bringing me back to wrapping my bud's mk5 gti. Front bumper was a bear. I think between the two of us, we knocked out maybe half of the car in a night and paused. I think he drove it like that for a week or so before saying "screw it" and took it off because he didn't want to finish.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
How much material cost is there to do this? Time . . I'm sure hours upon hours upon hours if you're new to it. But, material wise . . ?

I recently bought 5ft x 50ft Avery film and I think it should be enough to wrap the GTI assuming you don't use a lot during practice. Bought some other things like a heat gun and squeegees.

I haven't gotten to wrapping the car yet but I did some practice runs on some panels lol. It's certainly harder than what the videos on youtube show, especially in the complicated areas like the front bumper.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
It looks really nice actually. Nice man!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
For reference

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

Whispaz

Passed Driver's Ed
What would be your approach for the front bumper? I’m dreadinf the fog light trim pieces
]

The way I did mine was put an overlay on the bottom side of the top bump (red).
Since the plastic pieces were difficult to remove I just laid the vinyl over everything and cut in the middle of the fins (green) to allow for enough material to drop into the back.
It was detailed work and a bit time consuming

I went with 3M Lemon Gloss Sting

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How much material cost is there to do this? Time . . I'm sure hours upon hours upon hours if you're new to it. But, material wise . . ?

$380 for 5’x50’ Avery wrap vinyl and another $80 in tools. I already had a heat gun, but you really don’t want to use it anyway. It’s very easy to over stretch material when you use heat anyway

Since the plastic pieces were difficult to remove I just laid the vinyl over everything and cut in the middle of the fins (green) to allow for enough material to drop into the back.

Thank you! I’ll give that a try

Your car looks awesome btw, as does the pair Sandman roof wrapped

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Subbing. Looks great so far, can't wait to see the outcome. I want to do this color myself as well but doubt I'll get around to it so for now I'll live vicariously through you

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
So 5 x 50 should be enough to both do some learn tests AND wrap the whole car? I may just have to do this someday.

Side note . . . what happens when you have a deep scratch and you put wrap over it? Does the scratch come show up after wrapping? IE, can you see that there is an indent under the wrap?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So 5 x 50 should be enough to both do some learn tests AND wrap the whole car? I may just have to do this someday.

Side note . . . what happens when you have a deep scratch and you put wrap over it? Does the scratch come show up after wrapping? IE, can you see that there is an indent under the wrap?

In your sig, the apostrophe goes before the 16, not after - 2016 = '16. Or is that a part of the "rebel" thing ;) Just messin'.

but I was wondering the same thing as you - what do rock chips and deep scratches look like under a wrap

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
How much does a semi professional wrap job cost now a days? I have a front bumper that is starting to get chewed up and was in love with baby haulers matte od green wrap. Is this worth trying to do yourself?

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion

fuck that thing is tits! :eek: