GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior Plastics Cleaner and Protectant

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Good morning all,

Just picked up my 2018 Golf R (Oryx White), and I love it. What I don't love, is piano black finish (those swirly B pillars... don't even get me started, I'm thinking about ordering a second set to cope with my OCD).

Anyway, I had some Meguiars interior detailer and I could have sworn it took the shine off my piano black interior surfaces in my 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited. Maybe it was just cheaper plastics in that car, but I'm not taking any chances so I threw that crap out.

So - suggestions for interior cleaning/protectant? Something I'd keep in the glovebox with a little microfiber cloth? I've seen a lot of Sonax and 303 products mentioned, so perhaps from their lineup.

Thanks again!

.....fucking B pillars.....

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Meguier's Quik Interior is my favorite for my VW interior. Cleans, protects, and leaves a neutral look, no gloss and spoofy shine. Plus, it's only $5 a bottle so, can't beat that. This is also the best I have found for our gauge clusters and touch screens. Works great on the TV in your living room also.

Next choice would be 303 Aerospace Protectant, more gloss, but still no grease and doesn't attract dust. This is usually a freebie for me through detailedimage.com when I order enough products. Comes with a great spot cleaner too for fabrics.

Last choice for me would be Chemical Guys VRP or Natural Shine. Only downside is those are not spray and I prefer a sprayer for interior protectants. That's just me though.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Awesome advice, thank you! I'll keep my eyes open for these products while I'm out shopping. It's good to hear about the gauge cluster and touchscreens. Touchscreens get oily quick, gauge clusters (in my case, the digital cockpit) has collected a bit of spray from what I can guess is when I sneezed! haha, nice to know I can clean it safely with that stuff.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm a big advocate of Optimum Opti-Clean if you just want something for basic cleanup/maintenance/dusting. It can be used on every surface inside and outside the car. Plastic, glass, vinyl, leather, paint, chrome...you name it. I would keep it in the trunk along with a microfiber in case of a bird poo emergency on the paint or just smudges on the infotainment screen. It was the best one stop solution I could find and it did a great job. It leaves no finish on any of the interior surfaces.

Currently though, my entire interior is coated with Ultima Interior Guard +. Provides me greater UV protection and longevity. It last several months, so in between applications I keep things tidy with Ultima Waterless Wash + diluted to a spray detailer ratio. This can also be used on damn near any surface on the car.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Thanks IceBerg, some more good product recommendations!

I used to have these little bird poop towelettes, the same size as a hand cleaner one they give you at a restaurant. I never really felt comfortable using them without washing the entire car. Something about swirling around try to scrub a turd away just made me feel that I was making it worse.

Blindbatts

Passed Driver's Ed
303, nothing else.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I like Adams Interior Detailer, not too shiny and has UV protection for the leather and plastic panels. I use their Glass Cleaner and microfiber glass towel on the piano black trim and radio.

Lots of good products already mentioned too.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
303 is fine and all, but one thing to note is if you have tint you don't need to worry about the UV protection that 303 is providing and it's completely unnecessary to use on your interior.

Your tint would be blocking the UV and your windshield already has UV protection baked in.

Go for a gentle cleaner or just dust and then use a damp microfiber as was said.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
I used Chemical Guys Innerclean for the last two years but recently switched to using Meguiar's Xpress Spray Wax on my interior, including leather. I also use it in the engine bay and on the exterior of the car of course. Just spray on and buff off. Great stuff.