GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infant Carseat/Stroller advice

B5AudiS4

Hi All,

My wife and I have our first child coming in 2 months. I’ve seen some posts about carseats but am wondering if anyone has advice on a travel system (seat and stroller combo) that fits well in the Golf R? I’m 5’8” and my wife is 5’4” in case that helps. I was more worried about the seat but am now concerned about fitting a stroller in the boot. We’re ideally looking for a setup that allows the seat to be clipped into the stroller or the base.

Thanks in advance for any insights you did be willing to share.
-Steve

blitz869

Passed Driver's Ed
We just went though the same process. We tried a couple and this worked out to be the best solution for us.

Stroller Uppababy Cruz

Car Seat is Uppababy Mesa

The passenger seat is somewhat closer to the dash but it’s not uncomfortable. My wife doesn’t have an issue and she’s 5’4.

CDavis7M

Passed Driver's Ed
There was a post on this recently, but I'm not sure where. Anyway, for the car seat I have the "Peg Perego" brand "primo viaggio nido" model with the base. This base has a crash/load-leg and an anti-rebound bar. It fits fine in the back with enough room for someone who is 5'4" to sit in front (but wouldn't want to do a long trip). Your wife will likely want to be in the back seat with the baby anyway.

As for strollers, I have the Uppababy Vista (larger model compared to the Cruz above) and it does not lay flat in the back seat. I can fit it in upright with wheels down and the joint near/touching the ceiling. I'm looking to pick up a smaller stroller to keep in my car.

gee-dubR32

For our infants we were happy with Maxi Cosi Mico 30 (removable seat plus carrier) plus Maxi Taxi (foldable, low profile stroller that holds the Mico). As our son got older and we needed a larger carseat, we switched to the Uppababy Cruz for our stroller like the earlier poster. Folds nice but takes up the cargo area. We swapped his previous seat for the Maxi Cosi Pria 85 when he was big enough. One thing to think about with all the baby stuff in the car taking up cargo space-- at some point you should consider getting roof racks and carrier. We got OEM racks and Thule carrier. We don't use it all the time but for travel or carting stuff to events, birthday parties, it has been super helpful. Good luck with your shopping and enjoy the magical adventure of parenthood!

B5AudiS4

We just went though the same process. We tried a couple and this worked out to be the best solution for us.

Stroller Uppababy Cruz

Car Seat is Uppababy Mesa

The passenger seat is somewhat closer to the dash but it’s not uncomfortable. My wife doesn’t have an issue and she’s 5’4.

Thanks so much blitz169, I really appreciate the insight and especially the pictures!

B5AudiS4

THANK YOU both very much CDavis7M and gee-dubR32 for sharing your advice, it’s super helpful in knowing we have options and helping steer me towards a workable option. Cheers!

rsw81

Welcome to the Golf R club and the Dad club. I am local to Boston if you need any help with this stuff. My kids are a touch older than yours (3 & 5). When yours are old enough, a good transition seat is the ImmiGo car seat. It's still a 5 point harness, using the Latch system, but much more compact making leg room not an issue. It also folds down when not in use very compactly, making it good for travel. These are the seats police and CPS leave in their trunk in case they need to transport young kids in their cars.
https://www.imminet.com/products/immi-go-seat/