GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird hairline cracks in headlights

cjboertjens

Hi all, I noticed these hairline cracks in my headlights at night, especially in the corners. I also have a Mk6 and that doesn't have this. Seen at with a friend's Gti as well so is this common/normal? I don't think it looks great though. Anyone else had/has this issue and if so what have you done about it? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LG3MK7

Ready to race!
Are they oem? That's happened to previous aftermarket lights I've bought due to some sort of impact during shipping. Then covered whole light due to daily driving vibration.
Cracks should never be normal, it'll cut the distance the light travels due to reflecion and looks terrible.

ED stg 2, AWE cat-back, LTM custom 3in Dp, CTS tip & tit, K&N drop in, P3 boost guage, DKM stg 2 Clutch

cjboertjens

Are they oem? That's happened to previous aftermarket lights I've bought due to some sort of impact during shipping. Then covered whole light due to daily driving vibration.
Cracks should never be normal, it'll cut the distance the light travels due to reflecion and looks terrible.

ED stg 2, AWE cat-back, LTM custom 3in Dp, CTS tip & tit, K&N drop in, P3 boost guage, DKM stg 2 Clutch
Very good question. I wouldn't know the answer to that. It's been imported from Japan to New Zealand and is a 2013. I do think the lights are oem on that model but can have it checked by the VW dealership.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
What brand lights do you have? My car originally had valeo lamps and they looked like that. Dealer replaced them under warranty with hella units and not only are they not crappy looking but have a far better beam pattern. My wife's golf had the same issue but hella doesn't make a lamp for her car according to ekta. Replaced hers with valeo units and so far are holding up well.

sangeseven

Ready to race!
Have the same thing. Dealer told me it's super small scratches from sand and dirt while driving. They couldn't fix it under warranty since it "physical". I didn't really care but you can get someone to buff the exterior and repolish. Seen some stuff on YouTube but didn't really try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If they are Helix brand - I'd say it's because it's Helix brand.

Otherwise you might be using too harsh of a chemical while cleaning those. I wouldn't rub anything on my headlights except regular car soap and water out of fear of accelerating their demise.

Coreyb

I have the same issue, also own 2013 imported from Japan. Have you had any luck repairing yours? I’m planning to look into getting them resurfaced, hopefully it is something that can be fixed.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mine have small cracks around the edges and I think it has something to do with the Lamin-x film I have on them. I had read about this happening with lamin-x and took the gamble anyway