GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice needed

GTiZoomies

I am interested in buying a GTI but have a few questions for you guys. Would you reccomend buying new or pre owned? If pre owned would you lean toward cpo or used? For cars being advertised as “used” is there a chance the previous owner tuned it and got flagged for TD1?
If I go the pre owned route I just want to make sure I’m not getting a car that was tuned and/or abused.

Thanks to all that respond.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
It totally depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of options you are look at.

Yes there is a chance of used cars being tuned by the previous owner unless its CPOed. On the other side, there was a thread in Audizine forum which discussed about a CPOed Audi bought from Audi dealership was tuned by the previous owner and it was not picked up during CPO process. I am not sure how stringent VW's CPO process is.

adam1991

Banned
I am interested in buying a GTI but have a few questions for you guys. Would you reccomend buying new or pre owned? If pre owned would you lean toward cpo or used? For cars being advertised as “used” is there a chance the previous owner tuned it and got flagged for TD1?
If I go the pre owned route I just want to make sure I’m not getting a car that was tuned and/or abused.

Spend the money and buy new. You'll be much happier.

Buying a used GTI/R (or WRX, or Civic Si, or...) is like marrying a cheap hooker ten minutes after you meet her. Roll those dice.

I used, cheaper GTI could be the most expensive car you buy.

At the very least, ask the VW dealer if he will validate the TD1 status before you buy. He may not, or may not be able to.

Roll those dice.

GTiZoomies

What’s a good price to aim for when negotiating for a new 2017 gti se dsg w/ light package? On NADA guides it shows they are now going for 23,097 - 27,780.

Do you guys think 24k OTD would be doable?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
What’s a good price to aim for when negotiating for a new 2017 gti se dsg w/ light package? On NADA guides it shows they are now going for 23,097 - 27,780.

Do you guys think 24k OTD would be doable?

Can you provide the msrp of the vehicle. With that, someone here can provide a good target price without tax and title (no one here will know that exact numbers unless someone is from your area).

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Buy a 17 CPO if you decide to buy used get a CPO with no more than 5k miles
You will have the remaining of 3y/36 k warranty plus an extra 2 years 24k CPO warranty and you still have 5 years/ 60k power train warranty

Let the original buyer take the depreciation hit and destination fee and all of the other stuff that dealers sell. The depreciation on these cars like many others it’s bad and unless you are putting down a good amount of money you’ll be underwater almost immediately.

If you want to buy new yo can do 24k OTD but not in NY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Spend the money and buy new. You'll be much happier.

Buying a used GTI/R (or WRX, or Civic Si, or...) is like marrying a cheap hooker ten minutes after you meet her. Roll those dice.

Disagree. I've owned a few used cars that fell into that general category (Civic Si, RSX-S), and while most people don't buy the performance trim to drive slowly, it doesn't mean the cars weren't treated well. The number of threads on this forum posted by people who obsess and agonize over which oil/tires/interior cleaner/washer fluid/etc is best for their GTI illustrates my point. If anything, you're better off buying a used enthusiast car than a used family sedan, which was almost certainly treated indifferently, as one would treat any other appliance.

That said, not every used performance car is going to be a burnished specimen of perfection. Lower miles are obviously better, and it's worth it go out of the way to find a one-owner vehicle. The older that one owner is, the better, and never buy any vehicle that's been in a collision, regardless of how minor they say it was.

If you were to sell your own car, would you describe it like it was a horse on its way to the glue factory? No, I'll bet you could write a book on how much time you've lavished on your car, and most everyone here could do the same. When the time comes to replace my GTI, someone's going to get a 2017 Sport with low miles (roughly 840/mo) that's been lovingly maintained, but driven in a spirited fashion, as it was designed to be.

It's the cars that are on their 3rd-4th driver that are more like your hooker example, because those owners didn't spend nearly as much money on them.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Yes, not all used vehicles are bad. But one had to put the effort to find the right vehicle. If anything, i would be comfortable finding an owner from the forum to make sure that the vehicle was taken care of. I would be a little skeptical buying a low mile vehicle from the dealership.

I can give my case an an example. I took care of it very well and the vehicle was never ever being launched. There wasnt even any scratch inside or outside. Hardly anyone has even sat inside the vehicle except myself and my wife. Also I had a list of all services done by the dealership. I had it listed for a price inline with KBB. The buyer was very happy with the vehicle and i was happy with the deal i got as well.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yes, not all used vehicles are bad. But one had to put the effort to find the right vehicle. If anything, i would be comfortable finding an owner from the forum to make sure that the vehicle was taken care of. I would be a little skeptical buying a low mile vehicle from the dealership.

I can give my case an an example. I took care of it very well and the vehicle was never ever being launched. There wasnt even any scratch inside or outside. Hardly anyone has even sat inside the vehicle except myself and my wife. Also I had a list of all services done by the dealership. I had it listed for a price inline with KBB. The buyer was very happy with the vehicle and i was happy with the deal i got as well.

Since we're discussing enthusiast-oriented vehicles, I would think that would be a given.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie

Thanks to all that respond.

This price range I buy new.

It's real difficult to know whether the car was tuned or not because my cars run JB1 and I can remove it when I trade in. I can confirm that although my cars are modded and I drive spiritedly, they are never abused.

I also drive all sorts of rental cars when I travel for work and only a handful of times out of MANY cars I rented over the decades had I encountered problems. Considering that, I think most used cars with lower milage aren't a bad deal. They may have been driven roughly, but modern cars are pretty smart and trim back driver input when the driver becomes abusive.

You might notice some cosmetic damage but hey, you're buying used. Can't be picky. One recommendation is if you find a car you like, do the research quickly and grab it. Chances are, it will be gone the next time.

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
So what is TD1?

I think some of these people are being overly dramatic... Get a good deal on a 1 owner certified carfax GTI and call it good. Or just buy new and not worry about anything, its totally up to you and your budget.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
So what is TD1?

I think some of these people are being overly dramatic... Get a good deal on a 1 owner certified carfax GTI and call it good. Or just buy new and not worry about anything, its totally up to you and your budget.

A TD1 is when you flash you flash your car (tune it) and when VW scans it, the data is sent to VW and they see the flash, they mark it as a TD1 that voids the warranty. There have been some examples of someone buying a used GTI and the car was tuned before and removed but when the new owner brings it in for warranty he gets a TD1 and the car isn't covered. Only piggybacks like a JB4 or Nuespeed Power Module don't flag a TD1

GTiZoomies

Thanks for the help guys. One last question before I pull the trigger.

I got the dealership down to 7,250 below MSRP which is the best price I’ve gotten so far. Would you consider that a good discount? New 2017 GTI SE dsg.