GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

edrex

Ready to race!
Accidentally topped off my tank with 7 gallons of 87 octane instead of 91 (highest available).
Should I get some octane booster or just drive around like normal and burn through it?
Car/engine is stock.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Accidentally topped off my tank with 7 gallons of 87 octane instead of 91 (highest available).
Should I get some octane booster or just drive around like normal and burn through it?
Car/engine is stock.

With everything stock, it's a complete non-issue. Pretty sure it even says 87 on the gas cap.

edrex

Ready to race!
With everything stock, it's a complete non-issue. Pretty sure it even says 87 on the gas cap.
Thank you. I’ve been running 91 since I got it a few months ago. Thought that’s what it requires but I guess 87 is fine too

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thank you. I’ve been running 91 since I got it a few months ago. Thought that’s what it requires but I guess 87 is fine too
He is correct. GTI is rated for 87. Says right on your gas cap cover door. I've always run premium for the increase in power but the car is stock tuned for 87

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

eljay1

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, I recall reading in the owner's manual that 87 AKI is OK as long as the % of ethanol (if ethanol has been added) doesn't exceed a certain threshold. Can't remember just now how much, but 15% sticks in my mind.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Typical U.S. is still less than 10%. There's talk about increasin it to 15%, which could cause a problem for IIRC pre-2002 vehicles.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
You're wasting money. The car runs just fine on 87

Do not turn this into another octane thread. Yes the car runs fine on 87. Yes it runs with more power on 91. User preference.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Here’s one for you car detailing fanatics. I just moved to a snowy climate for the first time. Whats the best way to brush off snow from the car? I caught my wife in the middle of taking a kitchen broom to it and I nearly fainted. I told her to just get snow off the windows and leave the paint alone. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkhorseGTi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTi SE 6MT
Here’s one for you car detailing fanatics. I just moved to a snowy climate for the first time. Whats the best way to brush off snow from the car? I caught my wife in the middle of taking a kitchen broom to it and I nearly fainted. I told her to just get snow off the windows and leave the paint alone. ?

Not much you can do to avoid scratching your finish. Especially if you already have Salt on your car.
But I use this and it’s been doing a very good job getting snow off my car and not damaging my finish ... As much.

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Lol had to google it to figure out the name. I thought they were being cheeky as in F.U. remover broom. But they’re marketing it as a fur remover broom for pets.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
https://www.amazon.com/14015-Avalan...87&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+snow+brush+sub-zero

something along this line

w/o insulting never use hot water to de-ice windshield...thermal shock can crack it. You'll learn to have a brush on porch for deep snow. I also leave wipers in service position if it's going to snow. (car off then hit single wipe they'll stop in the up position) you can then lift them off windshield to clean under them.

Welcome to winter!

Mud