GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" wheel suggestions (alltrack)

rusty9041

My least favorite part of the alltrack is the OEM 17" wheels, just not a fan of the style at all. I'm looking to swap them out but maintain the factory tire size.

The car will see some action the vw marketing department would be proud of including mountain camping trips and daily use on rather nasty gravel roads. So I guess the wheel will have to be somewhat tough. I'm open to OEM and aftermarket options. A conservative rally type look might be kind of cool but I'm not looking to go full Subaru here.

Anyone have suggestions?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Team Dynamics Pro race five spokes...same strength as OEM, but 2kg lighter per wheel as low pressure cast instead of gravity cast.. Nice & easy to clean, used in rally & based on the Copomotive five spokes..see pictures in my thread as I use them for winter

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Neuspeed RSe05 = requires no extra hardware to run, and it's around $1k for a set.
I got MSW Type 22 17x7.5, ET35 wheels for $400 for a set from TireRack and they come with lug bolts and center ring, and mount and balance free or charge.

rusty9041

Thanks for the suggestions, I like those methods but I'm not too keen on running adapters.

Golfdave, what's a good source to TR Motorsports wheels here in the US? I looked at getting some for my MK5 but never ended up finding a vendor.

The SR is a good option. Definitely worth a look.

I've been looking at the TR Motorsport FF10's as well but they only come in an 8" width so I'd probably need to swap tires as well.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

rusty9041

Got in touch with them today, seems like it's pretty tough to get a hold of some of these wheels. Lead times are unpredictable. Could be a few weeks, could be 9 months. Would be my first choice in wheels if they were readily available.

May need to go with the TR's for the value/convenience.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Light weight and strong were important to me. I swapped out factory wheel with Conti 54.6 lbs to Motegi Traklites with Firestone Firehawk 500 225/50/17 that weigh only 43.2 lbs. that is a very significant difference. The car handles much better with improved grip

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Got in touch with them today, seems like it's pretty tough to get a hold of some of these wheels. Lead times are unpredictable. Could be a few weeks, could be 9 months. Would be my first choice in wheels if they were readily available.

May need to go with the TR's for the value/convenience.
That is accurate. I waited 6 months for a set on my last car, and they hadn't even been scheduled for production. Team Dynamics USA is not a good source for them. I think some companies are getting them straight from the UK now, though, which avoids that bottleneck.