GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wiper Stutter

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Had the left side windshield wiper stutter two weeks after I had the car. Washed the car and the stutter continued. Tried using Rain X, didn't improve. Thought maybe I had gotten a bad wiper, so I purchased a Bosch one. Stutter still there. Some people suggested using a thin layer of Collinite wax on the windshield, but that didn't do anything either. I'm honestly at a loss here.

It doesn't stutter on the first 3 or so wipes, after that it starts. It does not improve when it rains. Seems like the longer it runs, the worse it gets.

Anyone have recommendations?

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Let dealer fix for free?
I will once I confirm the issue is not caused by something I did while cleaning. I am not sure the issue is mechanical at this point.

Rain-X makes the problem worse.

You need to decontaminate with something like this:

https://www.autogeek.net/dia-glasswork-restorer.html
I appreciate that suggestion. How come I see so many varying opinions about RainX? Some people swear by it, others say it makes it worse.

I’d wipe down the glass with 91% iso and clean the piss out of it with a magic eraser. Then clean with Stoners or 3D HDGlass.

Alternatively you could get some glass polish on a DA machine and see if that helps.
I will wipe it down with 91% today, I didn't think about that. I'll go ahead and buy some Magic Eraser. I've never use it, is there any risk of damaging the windshield depending how I use it? I'm not familiar with the product at all. Also, I've been using Stoners like every day on it to remove bug guts. It has not improved (in fact, I almost thought about buying another product because I thought it was Stoners causing it)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
OEM wipers are terrible, the dealer will only replace it wit another POS VW part. I have Bosch fitted and not had any problems with them and no need to add Rain-X or any other type of snake oil to the water.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I will once I confirm the issue is not caused by something I did while cleaning. I am not sure the issue is mechanical at this point.

I appreciate that suggestion. How come I see so many varying opinions about RainX? Some people swear by it, others say it makes it worse.

I will wipe it down with 91% today, I didn't think about that. I'll go ahead and buy some Magic Eraser. I've never use it, is there any risk of damaging the windshield depending how I use it? I'm not familiar with the product at all. Also, I've been using Stoners like every day on it to remove bug guts. It has not improved (in fact, I almost thought about buying another product because I thought it was Stoners causing it)

It took me a long time to figure out the wiper chatter issue that plagued me from delivery of my 15 SE.

I tried different blades, VW replaced arms, I tried various remedies like alcohol, VW glass cleaning pads, etc.

The only solution was to polish the windscreen with a glass polish and a dual action polisher. The one I linked works the best for this purpose.
I went to the nuclear option, and used a rotary polisher with cerium oxide.

I traced the issue to rain repellent coatings, and I can reproduce this.
Now my wipers work quietly and smoothly.

Last edited:

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Does the cerium oxide and buffer take out all the little pits and other imperfections and make the windshield look like new?

My windshield looks so beat up after 20,000 miles and my odyssey with 75,000 looks nearly new.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I second water replant coats doing sod all..I got mine ceramic coated...lasted about 5months & FUBAR again....

Its the screen manufacture rinse wash when they make them....basically microscope roughness......only option is glass cutting polish/paste & a DA machine or by hand...

& yes Bosch did alter the blades...the OEM ones had very little reinforcing bars...the latter ones which were Bosch aftermarket & about 1yrs later build date had longer reinforcing strips where the arm joins the blade...way less flex in blade...

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Does the cerium oxide and buffer take out all the little pits and other imperfections and make the windshield look like new?

My windshield looks so beat up after 20,000 miles and my odyssey with 75,000 looks nearly new.

To a small degree.

I wouldn't bother personally, the Wolfgang/autogeek one is perfect for getting rid of road film, rain-x, and water spots.

obnoxious2

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the left side windshield wiper stutter two weeks after I had the car. Washed the car and the stutter continued. Tried using Rain X, didn't improve. Thought maybe I had gotten a bad wiper, so I purchased a Bosch one. Stutter still there. Some people suggested using a thin layer of Collinite wax on the windshield, but that didn't do anything either. I'm honestly at a loss here.

It doesn't stutter on the first 3 or so wipes, after that it starts. It does not improve when it rains. Seems like the longer it runs, the worse it gets.

Anyone have recommendations?

I had the same exact issue and i picked up my car a month ago. The front left and rear wipers would stutter horribly. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the wipers no questions asked.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I use Rain-X 2 in 1 cleaner and haven't had a problem. Used it from new and I'm still on the original wiper blades.

Fine steel will clean your windshield.