GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I Rice If ...?

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed

This is the way I bought my car. Would this be considered rice because of the tint ?? I was thinking about having it removed and re-tinted lighter.

What mudflaps are those on your car? They look really nice!

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
They look like OEM flaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whaa, if that's true I was robbed lol. My flaps don't stick out onto the fender like his do. Definitely an addon piece or something right?

I just want them for that piece alone because I am tired of my tires slinging crud onto the fenders.

DJinAC

Passed Driver's Ed
Didn’t know old age skewed people’s view on tint lol. I’m 44 so no spring chicken by any means and I have dark tint.

I am 52 and have been driving a truck for a while. Just wanted to see if it was too dark maybe not rice. The mudflaps came with the car I will look to see if the are VW.

DJinAC

Passed Driver's Ed
it's the drop that is rice.....

poor impulse control just making fun!

I have actually received prices to put the stock springs back in. :D

BillE911

Just my two cents...

Terms that appropriate cultural iconography to denigrate others are, by definition racist. That does not always mean offensive, but, it’s really best to avoid them.

Rather than using the term ricer, ridiculous is prolly better frankly.

On the other side of the spectrum, using your value system to judge others is also prejudicial and culturally I sensitive as well. Folks that think “riced-out” cars are ridiculous may use a term that is culturally insensitive, another party denigrating its use may be acting insensitive to the culture (‘Murican car guys) is also being equally insensitive and oppressive towards the group that they are demonstrably denigrating.

So... “ricer” is better avoided, and, more importantly, denigrating others because they do not share your “enlightened” values should also be avoided.

BTW, I’m a PhD in Social Justice (Vandy) and learning/understanding where others exist in their culture is far more important than suggesting that “everyone” should conform to any (especially your own) worldview is pretty silly.

As to the OP’s original question..

Cosmetic (only) modifications that look like they are performance modifications are (in this posters opinion) ridiculous.

:)

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Agreed!

If you have to ask...Yes.

And if it's not rice and you have to ask, then your brain privileges are revoked! :p

Just do what you want and ignore the naysayers. People have told me "drop it" for over 20 years. My cars still make me happy, especially when I'm flying over railroad crossings and manhole covers with no fux given. :cool:

Scott

Juggar

Ready to race!
Just my two cents...

Terms that appropriate cultural iconography to denigrate others are, by definition racist. That does not always mean offensive, but, it’s really best to avoid them.

On the other side of the spectrum, using your value system to judge others is also prejudicial and culturally I sensitive as well. Folks that think “riced-out” cars are ridiculous may use a term that is culturally insensitive, another party denigrating its use may be acting insensitive to the culture (‘Murican car guys) is also being equally insensitive and oppressive towards the group that they are demonstrably denigrating.

So... “ricer” is better avoided, and, more importantly, denigrating others because they do not share your “enlightened” values should also be avoided.

BTW, I’m a PhD in Social Justice (Vandy) and learning/understanding where others exist in their culture is far more important than suggesting that “everyone” should conform to any (especially your own) worldview is pretty silly.

Cosmetic (only) modifications that look like they are performance modifications are (in this posters opinion) ridiculous.

Terrible, I never want to hear from you again. Holier than thou garbage....

We say "ricer" because the origins are based on foreign cars that came from Japan (mostly) and people tended to frivolously/ridiculously mod these Civics/Del Sols/CRX's/Accords/Mitsubishis/Subrarus, etc.... which all come from Japan.

Its not about the race of the person its the fact that the cars themselves most often came from Japan and thus were called "ricers". Its mostly mexicans where I live anyway that rice Hondas....

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Just my two cents...

Race
Inspired
Cosmetic
Enhancement

It's not a cultural thing, or at least wasn't started to be.

BillE911

Terrible, I never want to hear from you again. Holier than thou garbage....

Its not about the race of the person its the fact that the cars themselves most often came from Japan and thus were called "ricers". Its mostly mexicans where I live anyway that rice Hondas....

Hey Juggar!

Feel free to use the ignore function. I won’t be offended. I promise. I promise I’m not holier than thou, but I can be “preachy” when I find folks who are ignorant of the pedagogy of the oppressed (was presume you understand the difference between ignorant and stupid).

In re “it’s not racist”; well, you’re just wrong. Ignorance of how words work does make not you any less wrong. Explaining, or excusing, that you’re using a word that is racist ( or culturally insensitive) exposes that ignorance. I understand that most (likely you included) do not intend to be racist, and usually do not consider themselves racist; however, tour intent does not make the term non/racist.

I’ve been a car guy for a long time. I understand the term, it’s roots and usage (R.I.C.E was begat from folks trying to not be seen as inappropriate, but frankly it still is). It’s convenient to use a widely understood term for a certain type of modification, but conveniently mot always the best answer. Use whatever term you like; I’m not judging you, I’m merely suggesting that there is s better way. You’re free to choose as you wish.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I use Ricer and Muscle Head with a smile. Poking fun instead of insulting (and with an honest smile). Hopefully the majority of us do the same. Is Dubber appropriate for us?

BillE911

Race

Inspired

Cosmetic

Enhancement

It's not a cultural thing, or at least wasn't started to be.

Hey Jay!

The term began to gain popularity in the SoCal car scene in the 80’s as JDM type modifications began to proliferate. It was used in the circles I associated with as a specifically racially derogatory term.

The PC police caught up and created the acronym as a defense of what had become a commonly used description.

Like I’ve said, I don’t really care about individuals belief systems, but I think I have s duty to talk to people about some things so they can make them informed choices.

(If you want to talk about real social justice, then it’s about institutional and structural oppression not ill advised words used in random places on the internet)

DJinAC

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I don’t think dark tint makes you rice.. that’s actually a nice car I like the black wheels with the black mirror caps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.