GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 torque arm insert pros & cons

#dvrk

Passed Driver's Ed
I just order a simple torque arm insert for my car. I am new to the forums and the GTI community. I was just curious if anyone had any input on this part i.e. voided warranty etc. Also I was wondering how much this part limits wheel hop and also if it will make my steering tougher. Thank you very much all!

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Pros: eliminates wheel hop and helps out the power down smoothly.
Cons: it makes the car vibrate and rattle like a beat 90's Civic.

I love your description of that con! Today was the first time I had my wife in the car since I installed my 034 insert. Uphill, reverse with the AC on, shaking the most I've felt yet.
She didn't say a word about it...she did however notice my P3 gauge I installed a year ago [emoji16]

Go for the 034 mount!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I love your description of that con! Today was the first time I had my wife in the car since I installed my 034 insert. Uphill, reverse with the AC on, shaking the most I've felt yet.
She didn't say a word about it...she did however notice my P3 gauge I installed a year ago [emoji16]

Go for the 034 mount!

LOL! I installed my Volk RE30 Clubsports (satin bronze) and my wife never even noticed my Remus cat-back or the Kerscher front lip :D

milwkeesbest

Passed Driver's Ed

Go for the 034 mount!

So other than that time it shook the worst, how is it day in day out?

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
From a cold start or from a stop it shakes a bit. Really nothing too concerning and feels just like not giving it enough gas and coming off the clutch.
Now 1-2 shifts are way way better. Less pogo feel. I think the pros outweigh the cons for me
JM

Clause

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 Golf R
i know that knife just stated that the pros outweigh the cons, but what is yalls opinion on if that pros outweigh the cons, interested in getting this.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
LOL! I installed my Volk RE30 Clubsports (satin bronze) and my wife never even noticed my Remus cat-back or the Kerscher front lip :D

Nice.
Wheels fall out of our current "purchase without discussion and pre authorization" parameters. I do however want a cat back and front lip at some point. I'm totally going to follow your system with a bit of modification, wish me luck!!!!:
-Buy wheels with wife-Check
-Buy lip on own-Check
-Buy cat back on own- Check
-Install lip and exhaust on Saturday while wife's at yoga. Install Wheels on Sunday morning.
.....all attention focus here on new wheels.
Well I got a plan thanks to your help! [emoji106]?
Jimmy

On topic: Are we discussing 034 Mount vs Stock or 034 Mount vs Poly? Such a dramatic improvement from stock and you will notice vibrations. My pro is that in my opinion the gains outweigh the start/low rpm vibrating

#dvrk

Passed Driver's Ed
I was curious about 034 vs poly. How much vibration is actually noticeable?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
Get the 034 and don't even consider the garbage rubber version from BFI.

Our dogbone insert is not made from rubber, but rather two different densities of polyurethane. We offer these two options to give varying levels of performance VS comfort. When compared to solid billet inserts, our polyurethane inserts offer a substantial increase in performance by filling more of the void and limiting more of the movement. The other additional downside to the billet insert vs polyurethane is while initially billet may feel decent, over time the factory rubber in which it is inserted will take a beating and become damaged, which will ultimately open the gap further and decrease performance. Our polyurethane inserts have enough give to prevent this, and ultimately will offer more consistent performance over time.

The only downside that people mention is an increase in NVH (vibration)
When you upgrade both the engine and transmission mounts, in addition to just the torque arm insert, you will see a substantial decrease in this NVH because you are no longer stressing those softer stock mounts.

The torque arm insert is popular because it is affordable, however replacing all 3 (three) of your engine mounts is the proper way to achieve better power delivery and shifting. I can promise you that with all 3 of our mounts installed, including our polyurethane torque arm insert that you will love the way that it performs, and it will be extremely tolerable in terms of comfort.

We have been manufacturing engine mounts for VWs for over 15 years, far longer than the other options on the market. We were the first to market with our MK7 offerings and our mounts are in the fastest MK7 cars out there. including the Iroz built / Anthony Taylor's record setting MK7 Golf R that just went 10.2 in the 1/4 mile as well as Tyler Aul's APR / USP built MK7 which is also running in the 10s.

You can see all of our options here: http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk7gti20t.html

Last edited:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
For 9 out of 10 people the standard 034 or CTS insert works just fine for stopping the thud from engine rock and kills the hop. The other 10% Ricky road racers may need the mounts and full torque arm (HPA/Revo etc.) if your launching hard and powershifting like a hoonigan.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
For 9 out of 10 people the standard 034 or CTS insert works just fine for stopping the thud from engine rock and kills the hop. The other 10% Ricky road racers may need the mounts and full torque arm (HPA/Revo etc.) if your launching hard and powershifting like a hoonigan.

This honestly is not factual at all. The design of the stock engine side mount is inherently and particularly weak. It was never designed for the large amounts of power that these cars are capable of making and as such they are prone to failure, just the same as with previous generations, if not more so.

The MK7 mount design is essentially the same and has the same failure points as seen below:

The rubber portion has torn
The hydraulic fluid filled bladder has been compromised and the fluid has leaked out

These failures are from spiritedly driven street cars, which is how the general population of this enthusiast group drives I would wager.

To only install the single torque arm insert is a half measure, albeit a noticeable one. The fact remains you are neglecting the two other mounts that carry a significant portion of the load. As the miles start to pile up on this newer generation it will become even more evident / necessary.