GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Red stripe door light burned out.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
Hello, this is my first post. I bought my 15 gti se about a month ago, one of my door stripe lights are burned out, has anyone else had to deal with this, how hard was it to change, and finally, where did you purchase the bulb from? Thanks!

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If it appears that they are both burned out, are you sure it's not just a setting in your touch screen that dims them?

Last edited:

GTI_guy2

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have this issue on the driver side of my 15 GTI. I just haven't found time to go to the dealer yet

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
They have to cut off the plastic weld clips on the back of the door trim, remove the strip which included the light/trim & place a new one in & plastic weld the new clips in place.

o-iii1

Ready to race!
In my case (on the 2015 GTI I got rid of due to numerous issues) they had to replace the entire door panel and use special adapters to connect the wiring as there was a changeover in the third-party door panel manufacturing process.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
4speed, it only the drivers side that is burned out. Thanks for all of the replies. Just being unplugged would be the best possible scenario.

Booger_Davis

Passed Driver's Ed
They have to cut off the plastic weld clips on the back of the door trim, remove the strip which included the light/trim & place a new one in & plastic weld the new clips in place.

Wow, I guess they expected the light to outlast the warranty so they'd never have to deal with it.

Forums are not making me like my car more, that's a fact.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
4speed, it only the drivers side that is burned out. Thanks for all of the replies. Just being unplugged would be the best possible scenario.

Oh boy, that doesn't sound good, sorry. I hope the dealer can fix her up for you without too much trouble. I'm always afraid to let the dealers touch things like that because I fear rattles and squeaks if they try to take short cuts.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Wow, I guess they expected the light to outlast the warranty so they'd never have to deal with it.

Forums are not making me like my car more, that's a fact.

Forum members are only a small portion of Golf/GTI/R owners out there, and people usually come to forums to post issues. :p

Booger_Davis

Passed Driver's Ed
Forum members are only a small portion of Golf/GTI/R owners out there, and people usually come to forums to post issues. :p

Yeah I know that.

I said that not because the dumb bulb could burn out - they all do eventually - it's that when the stupid red light does burn out, it really can't be fixed without some hack job repair.

Yes I consider "plastic weld" a hack repair.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I know that.

I said that not because the dumb bulb could burn out - they all do eventually - it's that when the stupid red light does burn out, it really can't be fixed without some hack job repair.

I do agree in that aspect. With the longevity of LED bulbs, manufacturers take the chance of integrating everything and making it harder to repair.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie

Umm, they are plastic welded from the factory. In fact every door panel from every manufacturer probably has plastic welds from factory. I suggest buying a 1970's or earlier car if you consider it hack.