GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

Old 05-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #35
ShadowMK7

Drives: Black Pearl TDI
Another new one here in Edmonton.
ShadowMK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #36
Ehlectric

Drives: 16 Golf TSI
Hello everyone! I recently (today) got a job in Calgary! So I'll be moving out west from Ottawa. Job starts July 6th. Was wondering what the best dealer in Calgary is?

Thanks!
Ehlectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:33 AM   #37
VWpartsguy17

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Saskatoon
2003 Jetta 1.8T
1994 Corrado VR6
VWpartsguy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:27 AM   #38
QAMB

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehlectric View Post
Hello everyone! I recently (today) got a job in Calgary! So I'll be moving out west from Ottawa. Job starts July 6th. Was wondering what the best dealer in Calgary is?

Thanks!
Five Ave Autohaus --> South Centre --> Northland.

In that order.
QAMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #39
Ehlectric

Drives: 16 Golf TSI
I forgot to mention if you guys could recommend performance shops as well, unless Five Ave is mod friendly? Thanks again

Last edited by Ehlectric; 06-26-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Ehlectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #40
Mitch

Hi, VWpartsguy:
saw that you are from Saskatoon so know you know what a nasty winter can be, so thought I would ask you: I just bought a Golf R last week...and have since gotten some very confusing info abut whether it can be fitted with a block heater or not...I am being told the "battery maintainer" is enough. I live in northern
Alberta, no garage, and we do have -40 winter days. Will this car start without a block heater and/or is there a block heater out there that I can get put in?
thanks so much, Mitch
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #41
NinjaTune

Drives: Mk7 Golf 1.8T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hi, VWpartsguy:
saw that you are from Saskatoon so know you know what a nasty winter can be, so thought I would ask you: I just bought a Golf R last week...and have since gotten some very confusing info abut whether it can be fitted with a block heater or not...I am being told the "battery maintainer" is enough. I live in northern
Alberta, no garage, and we do have -40 winter days. Will this car start without a block heater and/or is there a block heater out there that I can get put in?
thanks so much, Mitch
Hey man, congrats on the R! Not the guy you asked, but from my experience, this is what i have to say: I've had mine (golf tsi) through two Alberta winters so far. When I first got it, I was extremely worried about the lack of a block heater, but so far I haven't had a problem starting it, even on the coldest days. Synthetic oil tends to stay fairly consistent, even in very cold temperatures, so your car will have an easier time starting up. If you're really worried: research about different viscosities of oil to see what may suit your weather the best and keep that battery blanket plugged in. I personally haven't even needed to use it. I change my oil pretty frequently, so maybe that has a bit to do with it? Doubt it though. Synthetic oil is just really awesome for winter.

Either way, I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it. On the coldest days, maybe give it a start and let it run for a few minutes throughout the day if that's possible.

Enjoy the R!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
NinjaTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 AM   #42
Zednix

Drives: '17 GTI
Brand new 17 GTI here in Edmonton
Zednix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #43
Frez13

Drives: '18 R
Just picked up my 18 R in Red Deer.
Frez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #44
Clem604

Drives: 2018 MK7.5 GTI
Just picked up my MK7.5 here in rainy Vancouver!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 AM   #45
VWpartsguy17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hi, VWpartsguy:
thanks so much, Mitch
Hey there, Iíve never had any issues with my car starting in winter. I do park it in the garage but at work it sits outside for 9 hours. Thereís isnít a black heater for these cars, a pan heater isnít an option unless you change your oil pan to a metal one. I think there is a factory circulating heater available.
2003 Jetta 1.8T
1994 Corrado VR6
VWpartsguy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #46
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem604 View Post
Just picked up my MK7.5 here in rainy Vancouver!

Welcome!

Fellow 604íer here as well.
nype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #47
AdamG4

Drives: 15' VW GTI Autobahn
Calgary here. In the midst of getting a GTI or a R.
AdamG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #48
Kyle_Kelso

Cochrane here. No block heater hasn't been a problem yet. Best Calgary dealer is... yourself. Had some work done on my mk4 tdi wagon at 5th ave years ago, they tried to sell me a new brake switch instead of a pair of bulbs...
Mk7 came from Southcenter but their service center lost my business for life. Won't ever go back for anything and used to live right near there.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Kyle_Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #49
Bern_Golf17

Drives: 2017 VW Golf Highline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Kelso View Post
Cochrane here. No block heater hasn't been a problem yet. Best Calgary dealer is... yourself. Had some work done on my mk4 tdi wagon at 5th ave years ago, they tried to sell me a new brake switch instead of a pair of bulbs...
Mk7 came from Southcenter but their service center lost my business for life. Won't ever go back for anything and used to live right near there.

What was your experience? I'm going today for my first service.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Bern_Golf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 AM   #50
Kyle_Kelso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern_Golf17 View Post
What was your experience? I'm going today for my first service.

At my 60K service they told me I had to have the transmission fluid changed. I reminded him it has a manual, not a dsg and they said it would void my warranty if I refused. At that same service they installed a mix of NGK and Bosch spark plugs which I found when I did my own service at 120k. I brought it up to the service manager while I was buying new plugs and he said "It would be easy for a tech to mix up the plugs. They just grab them from a bin and make sure they are the same measurements, because that's what matters." He also acknowledged that the manual trans does not need to be flushed at 60k but, without pulling up any service records or asking anybody, denied that the advisor lied to me about it.

Maybe I have unrealistically high standards but I refuse to accept this level of care for "professional" work. And if the manager has a crappy attitude, why would any of the staff care?

Kyle_Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 AM   #51
Bern_Golf17

Drives: 2017 VW Golf Highline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Kelso View Post
At my 60K service they told me I had to have the transmission fluid changed. I reminded him it has a manual, not a dsg and they said it would void my warranty if I refused. At that same service they installed a mix of NGK and Bosch spark plugs which I found when I did my own service at 120k. I brought it up to the service manager while I was buying new plugs and he said "It would be easy for a tech to mix up the plugs. They just grab them from a bin and make sure they are the same measurements, because that's what matters." He also acknowledged that the manual trans does not need to be flushed at 60k but, without pulling up any service records or asking anybody, denied that the advisor lied to me about it.

Maybe I have unrealistically high standards but I refuse to accept this level of care for "professional" work. And if the manager has a crappy attitude, why would any of the staff care?

Ahhh that's unfortunate. I just watched a documentary on service centres at dealerships and they all work on commission. They tell you whatever is needed to get you to spend extra cash.

I went in for the 15km oil change and didnt care for anything else they recommend.

Hopefully you got some cash refunded

Bern_Golf17 is offline   Reply With Quote