GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I'm just amazed they don't have a social media or PR person active in this thread. I think Clifton posted once or twice in this thread months ago.

Any other company would have someone on this thread immediately and also refunding 100% of the clutch cost due to shipping incorrect/defective kit. (Labor is another story...)

Don't know about Southbend's reputation in the MK6 platform, but there seems to be many Southbend clutches installed in MK7's and we haven't seen any complaints in the forums/vwvortex, at least not anything close to the level of issues that some of the DKM twin disk owners here have had/still having.

I'm fortunate to have lucked out and not had any issues during break-in with my Stage 2 kit. I'm only starting to do harder pulls now so fingers crossed nothing explodes...
They kind of do, Clifton is on here just stays quite, has only posted a couple times however

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
He has posted a total of 2 times ever on this forum. Last activity was over 2 months ago. His presence is for all intents and purposes non-existent. He wouldn't even respond to any of my ~30 emails.

Crackness1

Ready to race!
Don't know about Southbend's reputation in the MK6 platform, but there seems to be many Southbend clutches installed in MK7's and we haven't seen any complaints in the forums/vwvortex...

I don't know about southbend one way or another (other than having heard the name for a long time back when I had a mk5 rabbit), but I will say that I've never seen so many used clutches being sold and they all seem to be south bend.

Not sure if that's just because so many people just go with SB from the get go and because they're expensive, so when people trade in / part out they sell their clutch too, or what. But I did find that to be kinda weird.

radoroc

Ready to race!
Finally received the credit from DKM. It was only 70% of the cost of the clutch. Pathetic. At least this is over with. I have recovered from the expense of the whole ordeal so at least I can take this money and buy more parts!

You are very fortunate to have receieved anything, they won't even acknowledge I exist anymore. Shitty company with a shitty product!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Time and time again I read stories of people thinking the FluiDampr would reduce the noise from the gear lash and it doesn't. That's not what it is designed for.

You want silent? Go DMF.

Sent from some random mobile time waster.
This. Sounds like ATR didn't do his/her research.
You guys are Savage! :p

I've heard from several folks both here and on vortex that the FluiDampr does indeed help. I know it helped with the mk6 TDIs when I was active there... Doing a little digging here it seems to be split... Some say it helps, others not so much.

Okay I'll roll that back. Though I still recommend the FluiDampr if you go SMF as it is still beneficial to the engine :cool:

Don't want gear chatter? I'll agree, keep the DMF. Though again a thicker manual transmission fluid should also help a bit.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Do you guys feel the clutch grinding or is it the shifter? I just had a chance to really get on the car today in some backroads and the news isn't so good... There's a weird, kind of like grinding, feeling of the clutch pedal when I do high rev heel-toe downshifts. Like 3rd to 2nd @ 4.5-5k RPM. Same thing with 4th to 3rd at the same RPM.... the pedal itself 'grinds'. I can feel it with my foot. This isn't my first rodeo with heel-toe so I highly doubt it's user error. I've done plenty of this and beat on the stock clutch when I can.

Yesterday I did a hard 1st to 2nd and felt the shifter grind. I've tried to recreate it today but nothing. I'll definitely be trying that again to see if anything happens.

Is this a sign of a bad throwout bearing? I don't think this is an install error... it was done by a Master VW tech that does plenty of aftermarket installs, including clutches.

Here I thought I wouldn't have any problems with mine... this is disappointing. I'll reach out to DKM but I honestly have no idea what to expect.

edit: forgot to mention, i have the Stage 2 clutch kit

Last edited:

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Do you guys feel the clutch grinding or is it the shifter? I just had a chance to really get on the car today in some backroads and the news isn't so good... There's a weird, kind of like grinding, feeling of the clutch pedal when I do high rev heel-toe downshifts. Like 3rd to 2nd @ 4.5-5k RPM. Same thing with 4th to 3rd at the same RPM.... the pedal itself 'grinds'. I can feel it with my foot. This isn't my first rodeo with heel-toe so I highly doubt it's user error. I've done plenty of this and beat on the stock clutch when I can.

Yesterday I did a hard 1st to 2nd and felt the shifter grind. I've tried to recreate it today but nothing. I'll definitely be trying that again to see if anything happens.

Is this a sign of a bad throwout bearing? I don't think this is an install error... it was done by a Master VW tech that does plenty of aftermarket installs, including clutches.

Here I thought I wouldn't have any problems with mine... this is disappointing. I'll reach out to DKM but I honestly have no idea what to expect.

Man, don't say that! I've got the same clutch sitting in my garage.

Can you do a full WOT run, running from first thru third gear? I'm curious if there's any lockout.

Are you running a clutch pedal spacer?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Man, don't say that! I've got the same clutch sitting in my garage.

Can you do a full WOT run, running from first thru third gear? I'm curious if there's any lockout.

Are you running a clutch pedal spacer?

I've recently put it back, yes. I only have 650 miles on the clutch. I mean regular driving it feels fine, including low rpm rev-matching. It's only when I started doing high-rev downshifts that I started feeling it.

I'll pull the pedal spacer out and try the same runs again. I just sent an e-mail to DKM describing the issue so we'll see.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Stage 2 DKM

Just went out for another run today. Yep... same thing, feels even worse now. When I rev-match, I can feel some grind in the pedal. I can feel it at lower RPM downshifts now, like 3rd to 2nd @ 3k RPM. It's obviously worse the higher the RPM is.

Also, some reason the clutch engagement point seems higher now than the past 200 miles? Odd...

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Interested in this clutch and read every page. Starts out well but seems to get worse the more you read. Seems to be a great option but all the problems and customer service issues are making me think twice. I wonder if the high demand for these clutches has made it hard for them to make a consistent and quality product?

Clifton@DKMClutch

Hello Everyone,

Clifton from DKM Clutch here, I would like to apologize for the communication issues from DKM Clutch. I've recently been made aware of a collection of issues and I am here to make it right.

We've had great success here at DKM very quickly and we are working hard to keep up with very high order quantities. Within doing so we've had some issues fell through the cracks in our frenetic schedule. We do have a very controlled QC process and we've only had a very few issues that have raised in relation to the amount of clutches we've sold.

I want to personally give my cell phone number to anyone that has a concern so I can address this immediately. Please contact me via PM and I will send you my cell number immediately.

I hope to make this right as our customers are the #1 priority to us, so help me make this right! I appreciate you guys understanding this and I'm looking forward to helping out.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
PM sent

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Hello Everyone,

Clifton from DKM Clutch here, I would like to apologize for the communication issues from DKM Clutch. I've recently been made aware of a collection of issues and I am here to make it right.

We've had great success here at DKM very quickly and we are working hard to keep up with very high order quantities. Within doing so we've had some issues fell through the cracks in our frenetic schedule. We do have a very controlled QC process and we've only had a very few issues that have raised in relation to the amount of clutches we've sold.

I want to personally give my cell phone number to anyone that has a concern so I can address this immediately. Please contact me via PM and I will send you my cell number immediately.

I hope to make this right as our customers are the #1 priority to us, so help me make this right! I appreciate you guys understanding this and I'm looking forward to helping out.

Respectfully, I had communications with you in May (including a phone conversation). You missed every stated timeline that you would get information back to me, and I had to persistently email you to even get a response. I eventually just gave up trying as it was clear that you didn't care to respond.

As for QC, there is multiple reports of something as simple as the wrong flywheel bolts being shipped with kits. I assume that you don't make your own bolts, so this is a process of taking bolts from the box from your supplier, and putting them into the shipping box. The fact that you can't do that properly does not say "very controlled QC process"

I wanted your clutch, but after four months of not shipping one to my Canadian vendor and the other issues reported in this thread, I've given up and cancelled my order. I've sent this to you before in email - it pisses me off to no end that you give/sell clutches to people for YouTube, but can't fill orders that have been waiting for months.