GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud "ticking" sound under hard boost

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
As in the title, I am getting a loud ticking sound when under hard boost. It's usually only above 40 mph or so, I'm trying to pinpoint the rev range and boost reading when it happens. I get some compressor surge and then the ticking sounds, usually only does it once but today I started getting 3 or 4 ticks. Any ideas on what this could be? I'm going to check the turbo out later for shaft play. I'll also try to get a video of the sound on my way home

I've searched and found this thread with similar sounding symptoms, but points more towards just straight compressor surge. I'l also try turning down the boost on my JB1. I honestly can't remember if I'm on my custom map 6 for lower temperatures or if I'm on map 1. Really hoping it's not detonation but we will see. If this thread has been repeated, I apologize.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18586

Other thing it points to is wastegate actuator issues. I'll have to check that out too

List of relevant mods, always running 93 octane
JB1
AWE Track Catback
Neuspeed P-Flo intake

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Update, turned back to map 0 and it no longer rears its ugly head. Sad day when you have to turn the boost down. I'm going to try to go back to map 6 but with lower boost values. Eventually I'll try a tank with a gallon or two of corn juice and see how that does with high boost

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I used to get throttle closures in 90+ heat on 93 set at 5.0. IC solved that, but yeah may need to turn it down.

Is that what the sound is, throttle closures? The car did feel like it was losing a lot of power during the times it surged/ticked but there were no indications. I didn't run logs of the ticking but I did do some logs after switching back to map 0 just to grab some baseline data for when I switch back up

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It's angry. Turn it down.

I know that lol. It's currently on map 0, so stock levels and runs well. I'm just trying to understand what is happening and why

nype

Drag Racing Champion
How long does the ECU take to adjust to lower octane fuel? I usually run Chevron 94 and don’t recall having this same issue before my recent fill up of Shell 91. Many around here feel it’s the best local fuel so I was going to make the switch. Had less than 1/4 tank Chevron 94 left when I filled up.

Taking it easy on the throttle to see if it settles with the next tank of Shell 91.

It’s not the heat. Drives have been fairly short. Temps down to 20c this evening.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
How long does the ECU take to adjust to lower octane fuel? I usually run Chevron 94 and don’t recall having this same issue before my recent fill up of Shell 91. Many around here feel it’s the best local fuel so I was going to make the switch. Had less than 1/4 tank Chevron 94 left when I filled up.

Taking it easy on the throttle to see if it settles with the next tank of Shell 91.

It’s not the heat. Drives have been fairly short. Temps down to 20c this evening.
I didn't switch octanes, I turned the jb1 to map 0 so I'm at stock boost levels. Ticking (or detonating, if that's what it was) immediately stopped after the first WOT run

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
What's the weather like there now? Does it do it in the morning before it gets hot? Sounds like you have a manual. Does it tick in the lower gears or just under load or uphill in a higher gear? Try turning the boost down to 4 or 3 PSI first.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What's the weather like there now? Does it do it in the morning before it gets hot? Sounds like you have a manual. Does it tick in the lower gears or just under load or uphill in a higher gear? Try turning the boost down to 4 or 3 PSI first.
It's been in the 80s and 90s all summer. I've got a dsg. It only ticks under high boost and high throttle input, couldn't pinpoint a gear but I noticed it was the worst on the highway when passing someone in 4th. I'm going to try your suggestion of 3 or 4 psi and see if that helps

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I didn't switch octanes, I turned the jb1 to map 0 so I'm at stock boost levels. Ticking (or detonating, if that's what it was) immediately stopped after the first WOT run

Ya I will look up switching it back to map 0 temporarily.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ya I will look up switching it back to map 0 temporarily.

Done. No knocking now, even at WOT. This was readily reproducible on map 1. But I was careful to avoid it.

I wonder if that Shell station had some bad 91. I will try Shell 91 again next time I refuel. And then try map 1 again.

If still having issues I will do some logging and/or switch back to Chevron 94.

Also scanned with VCDS and found no faults. [emoji1303]

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Done. No knocking now, even at WOT. This was readily reproducible on map 1. But I was careful to avoid it.

I wonder if that Shell station had some bad 91. I will try Shell 91 again next time I refuel. And then try map 1 again.

If still having issues I will do some logging and/or switch back to Chevron 94.

Also scanned with VCDS and found no faults. [emoji1303]
Good to hear. I'm wondering the same, usually it wasn't bad but the few days before changing it were super loud. I filled up from shell on my most recent refill too.

Mars1

Ready to race!
I have this happen too. Usually under high boost/lowish rpm passing situations. I'm on the older stage 2 HT eurodyne file. It goes away after 3-4 ticks, and I can floor it at the same rpm again and it won't do it again. Better gas may fix it.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Good to hear. I'm wondering the same, usually it wasn't bad but the few days before changing it were super loud. I filled up from shell on my most recent refill too.

Thanks. Ya I’m hoping I can just stick with 91 because every station here has it. And more so, was hoping the JB1 would be set it and forget it.