GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New S&B Intake

DSMconvert1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE PP
SAI issue must be fixed with my intake, ordered late last week.
Pain in the butt to fit in but really like it once it was in

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Updated SAI fitting on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 521

Martin398

Ready to race!
anyone have the rubber piece that sits inside the front opening of the intake and extends over the stock air intake tract work it's way off? the movement of the engine under load slides it off the stock intake tract and then it bunches up and falls into the air box. IMO, this is poorly designed. I'm gonna have to fab something myself to close the air path off because now I'm left with an 1"-1 1/2" gap and technically no longer a "closed" intake.
the rubber does not remain stiff enough when engine heat is introduced to maintain it's shape. it becomes extremely soft.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
anyone have the rubber piece that sits inside the front opening of the intake and extends over the stock air intake tract work it's way off? the movement of the engine under load slides it off the stock intake tract and then it bunches up and falls into the air box. IMO, this is poorly designed. I'm gonna have to fab something myself to close the air path off because now I'm left with an 1"-1 1/2" gap and technically no longer a "closed" intake.
the rubber does not remain stiff enough when engine heat is introduced to maintain it's shape. it becomes extremely soft.

The pipe moves independently of the box. Are all three grommets properly inserted in the housing? My housing barley moves.

Martin398

Ready to race!
the three grommets are all seated, box has a slight rock to it but it's pretty solid since I have jb4 between the box and the battery and the air box all but sits against the radiator fan housing. I think it's more a combination of the rubber softening in tandem with the air intake sucking into the box that it unseats itself from the left side and falls in.i completely disassembled the air box last night to make sure everything was installed/seated correctly.
the rubber piece fits perfectly as it should when installed but something is obviously causing it to fall into the air box.

appreciate the feedback.
I still love this air intake so all is not lost

Martin398

Ready to race!
I'll look at my piping again but there's not much movement independent of the air box. rubber coupling at the turbo allows most of what movement it has, the rubber grommet around the pipe to the air box is snug and doesn't let the pipe move a whole lot

mcl_sean

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GSW S 4Motion

Installed this afternoon, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Will keep an eye out for the issues others have mentioned, but really happy with how smooth everything went today.

Martin398

Ready to race!
can confirm the rubber inlet piece from the stock air duct to the box was losing rigidity with the under hood temps causing it to droop and fall into the air box. made a stiffener rod with a coat hanger and it's been working perfectly ever since

Martin398

Ready to race!
Has anyone tried running the intake without the plexi glass cover? Noticeable sound difference?

there's a large rubber grommet/plug in the bottom of the box. that can be taken out and may add some sound. have not tried though. I would imagine without the Plexi glass cover you'd get plenty of turbo noise (I can hear it with the Plexi glass) but now you've got an open intake drawing warmer air...