GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler Question

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Got a question for you intercooler experts.

1) is the stock intercooler behind the radiator?
2) is the Golf R/S3 intercooler in the same location?
3) is the installation of a Golf R intercooler easier then a Front mount?
4) at $225 is the Golf R intercooler still a waste of time and effort? I understand it's only 10% larger than the stock one.

I run a very modest setup, just a DinanTronics piggy back at +3 or 4psi, but I do track my car.

I was thinking that if the Golf R intercooler is cheap and easy to install, it's worth it. But maybe it's too much work to install for a small improvement l?

Thanks

d1ngleberry

Passed Driver's Ed
1. Stock intercooler is between the radiator and A/C condenser, with the A/C condenser being closest to the front of the car.
2. Yes
3. From what I hear, no. Front mount is easier to install than a stock location IC.
4. IMO yes it's a waste. Either go front mount or get an aftermarket stock location IC. From my limited research, stock replacement ICs outperform front mounts. I'm sure others will chime in here.

That being said, the stock replacements aren't all that difficult to install if you have some help. With a friend, we installed an IE intercooler in his GTI in about 4 hours. We did my Golf R in about 3 hours since we knew what to do. Could have done it in 2 if we wanted to rush it.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Got a question for you intercooler experts.

1) is the stock intercooler behind the radiator?
2) is the Golf R/S3 intercooler in the same location?
3) is the installation of a Golf R intercooler easier then a Front mount?
4) at $225 is the Golf R intercooler still a waste of time and effort? I understand it's only 10% larger than the stock one.

I run a very modest setup, just a DinanTronics piggy back at +3 or 4psi, but I do track my car.

I was thinking that if the Golf R intercooler is cheap and easy to install, it's worth it. But maybe it's too much work to install for a small improvement l?

Thanks

1) is the stock intercooler behind the radiator? Yes.

2) is the Golf R/S3 intercooler in the same location? Yes.

3) is the installation of a Golf R intercooler easier then a Front mount? No. Front mount is easier, only hard part is drilling through crash bar. They are not as good as stock location unless they're a bi-cooler using the stock and front mount in unison.

4) at $225 is the Golf R intercooler still a waste of time and effort? I understand it's only 10% larger than the stock one. Big waste of time, effort and money. The ebay intercooler is not much more expensive and offers way more benefit. Golf R intercool would still probably heatsoak if you track the car.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
R intercooler is most definitely a waste of $225 and 4 hours.

The Magic one on eBay is much more effective, but does have fitment issues. There's a detailed thread on it.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Thank you for the responses guys. I'll research aftermarket intercoolers furthers. appreciate it

If you want an easy install that won't cap your future goals of higher hp, go for the Mabotech Bi-Cooler or GTI Jake's FMIC. Both are good and fairly priced. APR and IE are good intercoolers but stock location and very expensive.

MadMen

Ready to race!
I'd be happy to give a free S3 (R) intercooler to anyone that wanted it :) Pick up only though....

But I wouldn't waste the 4 hours unless you had zero budget and wanted something a 'little' better than stock GTI IC.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
everyone already gave great feedback. I'll add that replacing the stock intercooler isn't hard, but some of the plastic clips can give you trouble. I broke two clips on the upper grill mount (42$ to replace oem part), and I struggled with the yellow rad clips everyone struggles with for 30 mins before deciding 60$ for the both of them is less than what my time is worth, so i cut them off.

Compared to all of the cars I've ever worked on, the GTI is by far the easiest, so it's pretty DIY friendly.

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
everyone already gave great feedback. I'll add that replacing the stock intercooler isn't hard, but some of the plastic clips can give you trouble. I broke two clips on the upper grill mount (42$ to replace oem part), and I struggled with the yellow rad clips everyone struggles with for 30 mins before deciding 60$ for the both of them is less than what my time is worth, so i cut them off.

Compared to all of the cars I've ever worked on, the GTI is by far the easiest, so it's pretty DIY friendly.

You can avoid all that frustration by simply warming the clips before squeezing them. If you don't have a heat gun just--very carefully--warm them with a butane torch and they pop right out with a screw driver.

Das Weib GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Hello MadMen,
Do you still have the S3 intercooler? I would pay for packing and shipping if you are willing to ship.

Ben