GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Those with o2 spacers and CEL free

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I took the advice of one of the forum members and used the Vibrant J-style spacer in the same direction of the turbo outlet where the downpipe mates to the surface of the turbo. I went about a month without a CEL until I tuned to Stage 2 with Unitronic. The downpipe I used was CTS w/ cat.

Which insert did you use on the spacer? Also, do you mean you have the curve of the spacer facing downstream or up back towards the turbo?

Also as a data point: I used the amazon spacer with a catless downpipe on an otherwise stock car. I used 1 extension piece on the side of the L that does not go into the downpipe. No issues for a few days but now I get rich/lean codes often, seems to be after cruising at higher speeds. I am going to pop off an extension and see if it changes anything. Ordering a J spacer to test out as I like the idea of the inserts.

Last edited:

MadMen

Ready to race!
What's the magic combo?

Small non-fouler with the middle section drilled out to about 3/8". Left the hole on the end the size it came with, but am ready to open that up a little at a time if needing more air to stop the lean code.

I have an I.E. with the cat in stock location. No room really for a J style spacer.

E-rok

Passed Driver's Ed
I run a "short" plug defouler threaded into the DP folled by a "long" defouler, 2k miles so far no CEL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Which insert did you use on the spacer? Also, do you mean you have the curve of the spacer facing downstream or up back towards the turbo?

Also as a data point: I used the amazon spacer with a catless downpipe on an otherwise stock car. I used 1 extension piece on the side of the L that does not go into the downpipe. No issues for a few days but now I get rich/lean codes often, seems to be after cruising at higher speeds. I am going to pop off an extension and see if it changes anything. Ordering a J spacer to test out as I like the idea of the inserts.
Medium insert with the vibrant. It comes with the spacer. The spacer was up towards the turbo, so as close to parallel as I could get it.

Going to be honest removing the downpipe was a nightmare. It is def not easy but doable. Took me three hours due to the tight spacing and then working it out. I have a 2015 so the exhaust clamp was seized. I had to hammer it out saw the bolts, and then use new bolts in the clamp. It is the piece that slides the downpipe to the cat back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m running a CTS catted dp and a Vibrant J spacer with the medium insert and I’m randomly throwing the P013E code (delayed response, rich to lean). Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks and sometimes it takes a couple of days. While I didn’t really care previously (I’d just ignore it and check for other codes periodically) as WI doesn’t have emissions testing, I recently moved to MA and now I have to get tested in order to register my car.

Has anyone run into the same issue and had success moving to the large insert? Right now putting the original dp back on to pass isn’t an option nor do I believe I should need to. I’m still confused as to how the whole testing thing goes with drive cycles, etc.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
There should be room to reach down and get the o2 spacer off. You won't know until you try playing with thr spacer. Or go Stage 2!

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
There should be room to reach down and get the o2 spacer off. You won't know until you try playing with thr spacer. Or go Stage 2!

I'm currently running MAP Stg1/93oct and have tried their Stg2/93oct for a while and neither blocked this code from being thrown. I won't be getting a protune until next spring so right now my only course of action is via messing with the insert or completely removing the spacer and seeing what happens as I've read that this helped at least one person.

Unfortunately my apartment complex doesn't allow auto repairs so my options are limited. Right now I'm going to have the shop who will be installing my intercooler take care of this but I'd rather do it once vs. having to go back a second time.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
I'm currently running MAP Stg1/93oct and have tried their Stg2/93oct for a while and neither blocked this code from being thrown. I won't be getting a protune until next spring so right now my only course of action is via messing with the insert or completely removing the spacer and seeing what happens as I've read that this helped at least one person.

Unfortunately my apartment complex doesn't allow auto repairs so my options are limited. Right now I'm going to have the shop who will be installing my intercooler take care of this but I'd rather do it once vs. having to go back a second time.
What intercooler did you get? I have been eyeing magic/majesty and GTI Jake's setup. Not sure of pricing on the latter.

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
What intercooler did you get? I have been eyeing magic/majesty and GTI Jake's setup. Not sure of pricing on the latter.

I went with the Majesty primarily for cost reasons with "stealth" being a distant second.

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
I've tried the medium and large insert in my Vibrant J style spacer on my CTS catted downpipe and I'm still throwing P013E. I'm running out of time as I need to get my car inspected in the next 3-4 days. At this point I'm going to try removing the insert or heck even the spacer altogether.

I'd be grateful for any insight or suggestions, thanks!

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I've tried the medium and large insert in my Vibrant J style spacer on my CTS catted downpipe and I'm still throwing P013E. I'm running out of time as I need to get my car inspected in the next 3-4 days. At this point I'm going to try removing the insert or heck even the spacer altogether.

Do you have the J facing upstream? Towards the turbo? If not, turn it

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

Jakes is top of the line and made with amazing components - message him for price, don't settle on the junk off eBay

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI

Are you able to de-tune until after the inspection? It is odd that it is not working in your circumstance. I had the O2 spacer facing upstream as has been suggested by a few here. Is there perhaps a leak? Meaning the connection to the downpipe is not tight enough where the spacer is installed? Did you make sure you used the supplied washer?

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Jakes is top of the line and made with amazing components - message him for price, don't settle on the junk off eBay
That will be my next mod, I can tell my stage 2 is hurting a bit from not having an adequate intercooler. The daily driving makes the car feel "tired". Unfortunately, money is a continual factor for all of the mods. I still am debating RSB and potentially coilovers. With 45+k on the car it might be best to go ahead with a fresh setup.

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have the J facing upstream? Towards the turbo? If not, turn it

I'll have to check but when the medium insert was in it was NOT facing towards the turbo, rather it was facing downstream. I will check in a bit to see which way they have it facing now.

Are you able to de-tune until after the inspection? It is odd that it is not working in your circumstance. I had the O2 spacer facing upstream as has been suggested by a few here. Is there perhaps a leak? Meaning the connection to the downpipe is not tight enough where the spacer is installed? Did you make sure you used the supplied washer?

I've already removed the tune and it still throws the error code. To be honest I'd love for it to be a leak somewhere. Unfortunately I'm not able to wrench on my car where I live so anything I do it will have to go back to the shop.