GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI weight of wheels

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
If you look up on Tire rack they often list this info.
They are a good source to compare tire weights if that is critical to your choice.

Ya, but I'm not certain those weights are accurate. Also, my stock tires were hankook Ventus 1 V2 all seasons (or something) and Tire Rack has three different versions of those in the stock size that all weigh different weights

jcasse

wheel weight

Hi - I thought I ask my question on this thread. I recently swapped my Dallas 18" wheel for a set of Enkei GTC01. I noticed after the switch that the front wheels do not feel the same while driving:

- on uneven pavement (bump) there is a light rattle sound (it sounds like it come from the front suspension)
- when slowly turning and braking the ABS seems to come on (I say ABS because that is what it sounds like)

The dealer had done the swap and i thought maybe they did not tighten the screws evenly. So i removed the wheels, put them back using a torque wrench to make sure all screws were evenly tight and ensure all tire pressure was set at 38 psi.

But no luck, same symptoms.

Now i am thinking that it relates to the wheel weights, the original Dallas 18" wheel weights 26 lbs and the new Enkei weights 21 lbs.

Can the 5 lbs per wheel make such a difference on the car handling? If so does anyone know how to resolve this problem? is there a suspension adjustment that can be done?

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Hi - I thought I ask my question on this thread. I recently swapped my Dallas 18" wheel for a set of Enkei GTC01. I noticed after the switch that the front wheels do not feel the same while driving:

- on uneven pavement (bump) there is a light rattle sound (it sounds like it come from the front suspension)
- when slowly turning and braking the ABS seems to come on (I say ABS because that is what it sounds like)

The dealer had done the swap and i thought maybe they did not tighten the screws evenly. So i removed the wheels, put them back using a torque wrench to make sure all screws were evenly tight and ensure all tire pressure was set at 38 psi.

Now i am thinking that it relates to the wheel weights, the original Dallas 18" wheel weights 26 lbs and the new Enkei weights 21 lbs.

Can the 5 lbs per wheel make such a difference on the car handling? If so does anyone know how to resolve this problem? is there a suspension adjustment that can be done?

Dumb question, are the centering rings installed on the wheels?

jcasse

I do not know, i will ask the dealer who install the wheels and get back. I assume the original might not have any and they did not think of having to install some?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

No, it’s not due to the weight of the wheels.

Are you sure they used the aftermarket lugs and centering rings?

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I do not know, i will ask the dealer who install the wheels and get back. I assume the original might not have any and they did not think of having to install some?

No, OEM wheels would not have centering rings but most aftermarket wheels do and should come with them. Looking at the wheels on Tirerack for example, they state the wheels come with centering rings and new lug bolts. Did the dealer use those bolts?

jcasse

ok so i just took one of the front after market wheel off (Enkei) and i saw the metal centering rings mounted on the wheel. Even though the centering ring has an outer metal spring (seen popped out in the picture) to keep it in place (?), i felt that there was enough play to possibly make that rattle noise on bumps. So i removed both rings in the front wheels and drove around: the rattle noise has now stopped on bumps. That noise must have been from the rings that were not that tight. I have now removed the rings on the 4 wheels.

I still feel that there are moments, when turning and applying brakes does not feel right in some scenarios, like when the 4 wheels are not on even pavement. I live in Dallas and have a 2 mile commute to work so i cannot really test it thoroughly...

Back to the rings, I want to drive a little more to make sure the rattle noise does not come back.

I have read some posts where some say they cannot be dis-guarded and some say it is ok to remove them. In this case it does not look like they hold up the wheel since they make that rattle noise. Should I try to find plastic rings instead?

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
What are the rings sized at? Should be the same hub bore as your new wheels down to 57.1mm for the stock hub.

I see a 75 in that pic, is that what size the hub bore is on your new wheels? It also looks to say 57.1 on the side closest to camera just judging by the top of the numbers. If I were to guess, I'd say they mate perfectly to the stock hub but are too small to fill out the new wheel's bore.

jcasse

yes this is what i have noticed, it is about 1 millimeter too small for the wheel bore, the circular spring around it is not strong enough to stop the ring from making a metallic noise on uneven pavement. i am thinking of getting a plastic ring... but other than helping centering the wheel on the hub bore when putting it on i cannot see any other use for it, so is it worth it?

i did not measure the hub bore, so i cannot say if 75 is for that, here is a better picture of the ring with sizes, not sure what the i in front of 57.1 means

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
yes this is what i have noticed, it is about 1 millimeter too small for the wheel bore, the circular spring around it is not strong enough to stop the ring from making a metallic noise on uneven pavement. i am thinking of getting a plastic ring... but other than helping centering the wheel on the hub bore when putting it on i cannot see any other use for it, so is it worth it?

i did not measure the hub bore, so i cannot say if 75 is for that, here is a better picture of the ring with sizes, not sure what the i in front of 57.1 means

i = interior measurement
e = exterior measurement

75 outer, 57.1 inner