GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Welp looks like I'll be pulling transmission out this weekend again, have probably 8- 10k on it and slave assembly failed, second one, I'll be putting oem slave in this time, the slave assembly from dkm is junk, the first one failed right away now this one. Clutch packs are probably bad now due to fluid most likely getting on them and contaminating them, luckily I have a whole new clutch pack still from the first time it went out that they sent me, have to probably resurface the flywheel and get new flywheel bolts from them....uh want planning on doing this in 110° weather lol

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Welp looks like I'll be pulling transmission out this weekend again, have probably 8- 10k on it and slave assembly failed, second one, I'll be putting oem slave in this time, the slave assembly from dkm is junk, the first one failed right away now this one. Clutch packs are probably bad now due to fluid most likely getting on them and contaminating them, luckily I have a whole new clutch pack still from the first time it went out that they sent me, have to probably resurface the flywheel and get new flywheel bolts from them....uh want planning on doing this in 110° weather lol

Sorry this happened. I know you are reaching out to DKM on new flywheel bolts but have they said anything about the faulty slave?

I've been wondering about the longevity of this kit since it's new compared to the Southbend clutches.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I messaged them last night, I dont expect any response till around Tuesday, it should be under warranty being less than a year old and this being the 2nd slave that has gone bad, and I have contacted them when I first put this in about I thought the tb was making noise and they said it was chatter, I didn't think it was, I always felt it was the tb and planned on pulling the trans out anyway to replace but not till the winter. I'm going to try to get it warranted but they need to replace everything, clutch pack, flywheel, everything since I know the discs are saturated now with fluid do to the failure. I will be going with a oem tb, the clutch is great aside from the tb issues. We shall see what happens, I have it ready to pull out and will drop it out tomorrow morning to see what all happened.
Sorry this happened. I know you are reaching out to DKM on new flywheel bolts but have they said anything about the faulty slave?

I've been wondering about the longevity of this kit since it's new compared to the Southbend clutches.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Problem found, what I suspected, this should most definitely be a warranty issue.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Well when I first installed I noticed a noise so contacted dkm and sent them videos and they said it was chatter, I knew it wasn't so let it go, was going to replace this winter anyway but it didn't last, aside from that there weren't any signs, it worked ok, I just went to shift 2nd to 3rd and pedal stayed to the floor, I knew what it was when it happened
Ugh, I hope that doesn't fail on mine as well. Though I have the stage 2, and not the twin disk.

What were the symptoms of the failure?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Ugh, I hope that doesn't fail on mine as well. Though I have the stage 2, and not the twin disk.

What were the symptoms of the failure?

From the looks of it, I'd guess pedal to the floor with no resistance and the clutch wouldn't disengage at all. That looks like a catastrophic failure where you'd loose all the clutch fluid.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Well when I first installed I noticed a noise so contacted dkm and sent them videos and they said it was chatter, I knew it wasn't so let it go, was going to replace this winter anyway but it didn't last, aside from that there weren't any signs, it worked ok, I just went to shift 2nd to 3rd and pedal stayed to the floor, I knew what it was when it happened

From the looks of it, I'd guess pedal to the floor with no resistance and the clutch wouldn't disengage at all. That looks like a catastrophic failure where you'd loose all the clutch fluid.

I've got 400 miles on mine now and so far... everything's good and nothing abnormal. Chatter isn't as loud any more and pedal is significantly lighter now.

Hope they take care of you in warranty railroader, good thing you do your own work. I'd be livid if I had to pay for a clutch install labor again

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I've got 400 miles on mine now and so far... everything's good and nothing abnormal. Chatter isn't as loud any more and pedal is significantly lighter now.

Hope they take care of you in warranty railroader, good thing you do your own work. I'd be livid if I had to pay for a clutch install labor again
We will find out, shit part is even if they warranty it I'm pretty sure they are all still backordered lol. Aside from my problems with the slave assembly I still think this is an amazing clutch.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Catastrophic indeed, and yes all the fluid leaked out and I'm sure it got all over the clutch packs. I'm just glad it happened while I was driving and not my wife

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

Do you have sound clips of the noise? I do get an intermittent noise when the AC is on but I'm not sure it's chatter. Sounds a bit louder and unusual until I pump the clutch a few times and I can make it go away. Of course this is my first aftermarket SMF so I'm not sure how the chatter should sound in person.

I thought some described this as being normal with the DKM...

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Do you have sound clips of the noise? I do get an intermittent noise when the AC is on but I'm not sure it's chatter. Sounds a bit louder and unusual until I pump the clutch a few times and I can make it go away. Of course this is my first aftermarket SMF so I'm not sure how the chatter should sound in person.

I thought some described this as being normal with the DKM...
I dont think so, I would have to look in the archives lol

railroader

Autocross Newbie
When you guys got your Stage 3 clutch, was the flywheel enclosed in the same plastic bag as the clutch?
I believe mine was, the clutch pack was sitting in the flywheel