GOLFMKV

Taktaktaktak Sound Under Heavy Throttle

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
pretty sure the wastegate clip is the mk6 engine

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22988

Due to the conditions described (heat, elevation, 91 octane) I am still inclined to say it's likely knock. Sort of like washers shaken in a tin can, back and forth quickly. It's bad news and any time you hear that, get your foot off the accelerator till you sort it out and log it.

I've seen knock on logs with my car and not heard it audibly. So the sensors will pick up way smaller amounts of it than you will hear. If you can hear it, and logs confirm that's what it is, don;t push the car until you get it resolved. It causes a ton of stress on your rods and can press the piston into the cylinder wall at abnormal angles than it's made for.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
No one mentioned the heat shield rattle that sounds just like that.

Compressor surge is more of a pigeon stu-stu-stu-stu

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I havent personally heard what engine knock sounds like on these cars. I couldnt find any video clips either. Just a bunch of people wondering about normal sounding ticking noises during idle. The last time I heard engine knock was on my Dad’s 80’s station wagon. Anyone have a link?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like you need to make a video!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Now that I’m not in the middle of nowhere anymore, I can start pushing the car more and see if the strange noise appears again. So fat so good. Knock on wood.

When pushing it at altitude be careful depending on your tune. Your turbo needs to spin faster in altitude to make the same 28psi you would make at sea level. Some tunes account for this, I am not sure if JB1 does.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So I’ve been in Boulder a couple of days and happy to say the strange noise has not come back. Local temps has been in the high 80’s. Maybe the 100-105F temps was a main factor.

Although, gotta say the struggle of high altitude power loss is real. Peak power seems to be there but I’m experiencing significant lag. Did pulls from 20, 40, and 60. The worst is between 20 and from a dig. I hit the pedal and nothing happens till boost kicks in, then my head jerks back. I’m missing that smooth, linear power delivery at sea level. It’s probably time to sell the JB1 and get a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
So I’ve been in Boulder a couple of days

Although, gotta say the struggle of high altitude power loss is real. Peak power seems to be there but I’m experiencing significant lag. I’m missing that smooth, linear power delivery at sea level.

Haha! Welcome to 5200ft!

I am close to you in Broomfield, if you see me give me a wave!

Attachments

• IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 205

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Nice ride! Hope to see other MK7s on the road. So far I’ve seen only one stock GTI. I feel like Im getting stared at lot out here. Although its probably because the CA vanity plates. Thats one thing Im bummed about. The black CA plates look so good on carbon steel gray. I’ll have to get used to the white and green CO plates.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So it was 100F+ recently and the ticking sound came back. It’s very sporadic and I cant reproduce it will. Seems to only happen when I downshift manually and give significant throttle. Seems also to usually happen between 2,800 and 3,200 rpms.

Someone posted a video recently and this is exactly what it sounds like. You need headphones or turn the volume up.

https://youtu.be/N9kRLAYjlyE

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Have you tried disconnecting the JB1 or setting it to map 0?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Have not set it to map 0. Might try it if it gets 100F again. But it seems like the peak hot season has probably passed.

Btw the guy who posted the video is stock except for his catback. He seems to able to induce the noise easily.