GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Taktaktaktak Sound Under Heavy Throttle

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ive been on a road trip driving through Nevada and Utah. Its been incredibly hot around 100-105F. A few times I got heavy on the throttle and I heard a taktaktaktaktak sound coming from the right side of the engine bay and power delivery felt a little choppy.

One very specific situation I can remember was getting on a freeway entrance in 3rd gear around 2800rpm and I got on the throttle around 80%. I hear this quick burst of 6 “tak” sounds then I let off.

Compressor surge? I know the sound can be subjective to different people but it doesnt sound like that fluttering sound to me.

Only mods are JB1 and Forge twintercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I am probably wrong but that sounds like piston slap. High load under low RPM is the recipe for piston slap and I have heard it on many motorcycles under the same conditions, but I am not sure if its a problem for this car. Definitely need more people to chime in on this one.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Been running nothing but 91. Although, I usually gas up with Shell, on this road trip I could only find Chevron— highly doubt this is worth mentioning but thought Id throw it out there.

High altitude knocking? Well I sure hope not. I’m on my way to settle down in Boulder, CO!

Maybe it’s time for a protune.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Try higher octane since you're modded. 91 is the minimum IMO.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Now that I’m not in the middle of nowhere anymore, I can start pushing the car more and see if the strange noise appears again. So fat so good. Knock on wood.

One other thing that briefly freaked me out. Most of the trip has been 100-105F, but my oil temp has always hovered around 227F, 230F max only for a very short while. Then at one point, the outside temp dropped to 74F and suddenly my oil temp spiked to 241F! Then I passed a sign that said Vail summit 10,000ft. Oil temp dropped back down to 220F as I went back down the mountain. Phew.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I hit 285 oil temp on the track, which is still just fine. Don't worry about it so much.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
91 is the best they get in Colorado.

I’m sorry Diggs, you were right, which is “bad” for me because I’ve lived 4 years in Denver (triple face palm)... All those years just refueling premium at the pump thinking that of course it was 93 I didn’t even paid attention....
Let me quote Albert Einstein for myself here:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”

Edit. You can use this webpage to find 93 in your state, altought I only found one in Denver https://find93.com

pjp7212

Ready to race!
Ive been on a road trip driving through Nevada and Utah. Its been incredibly hot around 100-105F. A few times I got heavy on the throttle and I heard a taktaktaktaktak sound coming from the right side of the engine bay and power delivery felt a little choppy.

One very specific situation I can remember was getting on a freeway entrance in 3rd gear around 2800rpm and I got on the throttle around 80%. I hear this quick burst of 6 “tak” sounds then I let off.

Compressor surge? I know the sound can be subjective to different people but it doesnt sound like that fluttering sound to me.

Only mods are JB1 and Forge twintercooler.

Is it a metal sound? If so, its your waste gate controller arm jingling and jangling around. Its from a less than tight clearance on the waste gate and the arm that opens/closes it. There is a little clip you can buy to slip on to reduce that.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Is it a metal sound? If so, its your waste gate controller arm jingling and jangling around. Its from a less than tight clearance on the waste gate and the arm that opens/closes it. There is a little clip you can buy to slip on to reduce that.

Any more details on this clip? Possibly another thread that specifically discusses this?