GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Curious behavior depending on auto vs manual DSG mode (2018 R)

ashmostro

Passed Driver's Ed
I respectfully disagree that “all automatics have done this...”

I have owned a variety of torque converter and dual clutch cars from Japan, Germany, and domestic. None of them have exhibited anywhere near this behavior. The cutout post-shift is not subtle. It’s a full second to second plus of no torque. Other cars that do a cutout to aid in the shift do excatly that - *during* the shift either fuel or spark is cut, not after the shift is fully complete.

I think it more resembles a mis-calibration where the ECU thinks something is past a safety threshold.

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
Wow 18R here not unhappy like I’m hearing here.

So S mode shifting itself there’s a slight spark interrupt on the gearchange to limit power on the shift. M mode shifts great no interrupt.

Only thing I notice is if you go wot fast it feels like it kills the power like turning the key off to make the gearchange. Thought it was meant that way. Now I found if you slowly go to wot it’s almost gone or much better.

I took it to the track bone stock 13.19@103 then loaded a map6 JB4 12.52@108 was quite pleased.

I'm Eurodyne Stage 2 and notice the same thing....Someone PLEASE come out with a home tuning solution for DSG, the delay in tuning is ridiculous.

Last edited:

lostru

Ready to race!
I respectfully disagree that “all automatics have done this...”

I have owned a variety of torque converter and dual clutch cars from Japan, Germany, and domestic. None of them have exhibited anywhere near this behavior. The cutout post-shift is not subtle. It’s a full second to second plus of no torque. Other cars that do a cutout to aid in the shift do excatly that - *during* the shift either fuel or spark is cut, not after the shift is fully complete.

I think it more resembles a mis-calibration where the ECU thinks something is past a safety threshold.

I guess I was misunderstanding the mannerisms. It should do it during the shift. Never after it is complete.

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
Uni just released their TCU tune so hopefully it corrects the issue...