GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bay Area Drive / Car Work

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
For anyone interested Melted and I are planning to hit up the Sonoma dragstrip again this coming Wednesday. It'll just be me on the line this time since Melted's poor clutch gave up on him at the dragstrip (honestly we're both impressed it made it as far as it did).

Still, even that wasn't enough to stop him from beating a WRX STI off the line.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I was wondering what I should do about the water pit. In the past I have gone back and forth with doing a burnout and not, and haven't seen any difference in my 60' times. I now have better tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), so I don't know if it will be worth it to at least get them a little warm before the pass. Anyone with a lot more personal experience with this specific thing? I know the Australians would balk at the idea of not doing a burnout no matter your tires.

Go through water box only if you are running slicks. Go around if on street tires. You can do a small burnout if you want to just clean off tires.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Alright guys, things have settled down with my car more or less. Lets get a met up going. Who is free this weekend or next weekend? Does weekends not work for some people? Let me know via a post here or PM. Feel free to invite other VWAG friends if you have them. Once we know who is free and wants to meet up we can plan a place to meet and a drive or whatever. Happy Monday!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I can do mid-day on the weekends, if that works.

Also, it was a bit of a delay (which is okay because sonoma sucks this time of year), but I finally ordered my clutch. If you're still willing to open your shop to friendly mk7's on the weekends;).

Another also, I recently helped a friend install a bigger turbo on his Hyundai elantra sport (wow it's so much harder than on my car), and he might be wanting to take that to the drag strip soon too.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I can do mid-day on the weekends, if that works.

Also, it was a bit of a delay (which is okay because sonoma sucks this time of year), but I finally ordered my clutch. If you're still willing to open your shop to friendly mk7's on the weekends;).

Another also, I recently helped a friend install a bigger turbo on his Hyundai elantra sport (wow it's so much harder than on my car), and he might be wanting to take that to the drag strip soon too.

Yeah man, let me know when you want to do it. I'm sure my cowoker would be game to help out, he's done a few VW MT's compared to my one DSG removal. He is always in the shop on the weekends. Not that we couldn't get it done ourselves, but with him helping it would take no time at all.

We could start this Friday after 5 if you want, finish up Saturday depending how late we feel like working. Also if we end up needing extra stuff, our local parts supplier is open on Saturdays.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
So the clutch is scheduled to arrive at my house Friday, and I have work starting at 5:00 pm both Friday and Saturday, then 4:00 pm Sunday. What about starting early(ish) Saturday and trying to be done by the time I go to work Sunday? I can also bring along a group of friends.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
So the clutch is scheduled to arrive at my house Friday, and I have work starting at 5:00 pm both Friday and Saturday, then 4:00 pm Sunday. What about starting early(ish) Saturday and trying to be done by the time I go to work Sunday? I can also bring along a group of friends.

That's totally doable. Seriously the hardest part is removing and reinstalling the trans. The rest of it is just simple nuts and bolts. Pretty sure I've passed you a few times on the MV overpass to Strawberry. I would hear you before I saw you. And all I saw was a black mk7, couldn't see if it was a GTI or Golf.

So looks like Melted and I have a plan for some car work this weekend. Not 100% sure that more than one rack will be free, but if others want to swing by and use the shop air oil extractor for an oil change or anything like that feel free to contact me.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Possibly. I'm not very loud, but that overpass is where I gun it occasionally. I know there's a black golf R with an exhaust somewhere in Mill Valley.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I will be attending Fairfield Cars and Coffee this Saturday at 8am as well as Vacaville Cars and Coffee Sunday at 8am. Would be great to see another GTI out there! I'm usually the only one.

I also will be going to Wednesday night drags the 25th, at least thats the plan for now.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I will be attending Fairfield Cars and Coffee this Saturday at 8am as well as Vacaville Cars and Coffee Sunday at 8am. Would be great to see another GTI out there! I'm usually the only one.

I also will be going to Wednesday night drags the 25th, at least thats the plan for now.

I might be able to make the Vacaville one. Saturday Metal and I will be busy, possibly Sunday morning as well, but hopefully not.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Clutch is in and everything is working great! Thanks, Wrath.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Had a chance to ride in Melted's golf and all I have to say is wow! These stage 2 mounts really are no joke, and with the gearing of the five speed being like it is none of that NVH I experienced on my ride got through to the cabin. Clutch is sharp as a tack now, and we can't wait to break it in so we can get a run up at Sonoma.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Awesome, glad to help out. It was fun! I figure when the time comes for me to do something crazy hopefully I can convince one of you to help out. The work went so fast and it seemed way less stressful than when I mod my car by myself. Melted needs to add the mounts to his sig :D

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
It's funny, all my major mods have been done over at a friend's house (he has the better garage). Honestly having someone to lend a pair of hands or a bit of a different perspective is invaluable. Not to mention it's nice to have someone to chat with when doing the menial stuff.

Frankly I don't know if I could have completed my turbo install by myself had it not been for having melted on a voice call and my other friend in the garage. Really helped calm my nerves, especially since it was my first time ever dealing with undoing plumbing in a car.

Besides, it's always nice to go out and get a celebratory meal in the car once you're done with the install [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk