GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

reuse hardware or new hardware? Lowering springs ~ 7.5k miles

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
With low mileage, doesn’t make a difference. I would definitely replace bearings, as they always find a way to click/make noise somehow

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Not sure about the Mk7...but I've bought used VW's before and reused the hardware with no problems. I installed coilovers on my Corrado (I think I replaced the strut bearings) at 70k and B5 S4 at 45k. Drove them both well past 100k with no issues on either car.

I installed coilovers on my Mk7 at 880 miles. Reused all the hardware. At 7600 now. No clunking so far.

I guess for your own piece of mind you could replace the hardware. At 7500 miles...at least for me...I'd reuse the hardware.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I reused hardware. Did this two years and 30K miles ago. I initially had some noise from the back. I had to loosen end links and re-tighten under load to resolve. Used similar technique as Gtijake provided in his link to loosen and tighten top strut bolt. Nice job on the DIY, Jake.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I reused hardware. Did this two years and 30K miles ago. I initially had some noise from the back. I had to loosen end links and re-tighten under load to resolve. Used similar technique as Gtijake provided in his link to loosen and tighten top strut bolt. Nice job on the DIY, Jake.

Thanks, glad I could help!

I had a customer bring a mk6 GLI in for coilovers this year with 120,000 miles on it and blown stock rear shocks.

Reused every piece of hardware and all of the mounts, torqued everything to spec and had zero noise.

The key here is torqued to spec. It’s not a mk7, but proves once again airtools are no substitute for proper technique and applied torque (mk6 is a mirror image of mk7 with very subtle differences)

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
The best way to ensure the correct torque on the strut nut is to correctly torque it when its all put back together on the ground, not loose in your hand using a 21mm strut socket. 44ft lb and a 7mm allen. (do double check those numbers though)

Anyway, once the car is back on the floor, pull the strut caps off from within the engine bay and you won't be messing around trying to hold everything together on a loose strut / spring. hold the allen using vice grips or whatever, use the 21mm strut nut and a torque wrench. So much easier than two fella's hugging a strut assembly and messing around with bits and sockets not meant for the job.