GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

maxwellheinrich

manual--because i knew deep down that i would regret it if i chose comfort and easiness over a real driving experience.

.....and i would've been ridiculed by my friends if i didn't get a standard

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
manual--because i knew deep down that i would regret it if i chose comfort and easiness over a real driving experience.

I bet most super/hyper car owners would slap the shit out of you :p , not saying you are necessarily wrong though. My argument would be using a MT without a cable driven clutch makes it not a real driving experience, if we are gonna be like that.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

I have friends like this. I keep them at a distance.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
MT is cool for that old time experience from back in the day if you will. Its always fun to see what grandpa had to drive at the track. However DSG is current tech for folks that like the latest in technology. I have had manuals in many of my cars but the DSG is the best of both worlds come on.... its an auto when you don't want to have to be playing the clutch pedal like a bass drum pedal in traffic and its a full on manual trans (best with a DSG tune) at the track (and you can keep 2 hands on the wheel at all times). Just poking fun. I like driving either manual or DSG but not a manual in SoCal bumper to bumper traffic..that is a nightmare and makes your left leg bigger than your right.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I bought my GTI in DSG 2yrs ago because of a leg injury and wanted to understand what the DSG's hype was all about. I really enjoyed the driving dynamics of the GTI so got the Golf-R in MT after my leg got better. The MT is definitely more engaging and much more fun to drive especially after modding the gas pedal to match the position of the brake pedal when doing heel and toe.

I kept the GTI and still use it as dd as both cars are already paid for and there is nothing mechanically wrong with my GTI; it'd be a waste just to sell it.

rich_in_cincy

I drove both, and the DSG (in sport mode) was truly impressive. It was the best automatic 'sport' transmission I have driven (I've not driven any 'exotics or even a Porsche). The DSG was MUCH better than the A8 in a C7 Corvette and a tad better than the 8 speed in the Hellcat \ SRT \ etc. I went with the manual for a couple of reasons. I think the manual enhances the driving experience, AND, in the DSG, I found myself going way faster than I intended. The manual gearbox is great (the long throw kinda stinks, and the long clutch pedal is meh) and very easy to drive as a daily.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
DSGs will be obsolete in near future. Modern automatics such as ZF found in some Audi cars (non-dual clutch) are way to go unless you want third pedal.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Thread just hit a new low. Airplanes.... wooo..... talk about something cool like helicopters, or space shuttles at least. The comparison of a MT driver to a pilot cracks me up though.

It's actually not that much of a stretch. When I took flying lessons they asked me if I drove a manual car, and they said "if you can drive manual, you can fly a plane"

D

Deleted member 137012

DSG shifts faster manual makes you feel faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
All my cars have been Manuals, the ONLY reason I got the DSG, was because I tune all my cars and I heard the 6 speed manual's clutch couldn't handle even a stage 1 tune. I didn't want to have to get a new clutch on a car still under warranty and get flagged a TD1 for modding the ECU. PERIOD.

If u decide to get the DSG, the DSG/TCU tune totally makes the car soooooo much more enjoyable.

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
I love driving a manual. My Mazda Speed6 was a blast to drive 10% of the time. The other 90% was city driving, stop and go traffic. When I started to look for a new car, I was looking at the hot hatches and the VW dealer was the closest. The first car I test drove was a 6MT SE. The highway is just a few hundred yards from the dealer lot and it was fantastic. I told the salesman I wanted to take it on my daily route through the city to get a real world feel. The nostalgia quickly wore off when I was reminded of why I didn't drive a manual anymore. My left knee is junk. I took the DSG out after that and never made it to another dealer. I made the deal the next day.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
All my cars have been Manuals, the ONLY reason I got the DSG, was because I tune all my cars and I heard the 6 speed manual's clutch couldn't handle even a stage 1 tune. I didn't want to have to get a new clutch on a car still under warranty and get flagged a TD1 for modding the ECU. PERIOD.

If u decide to get the DSG, the DSG/TCU tune totally makes the car soooooo much more enjoyable.

How does that one make sense lol
You're getting a TD1 either way with or without the clutch needing to be replaced

Also, it depends on how much you're going to tune your car. I'm going with a bigger hybrid turbo and you need to get a TCU tune so the clutches dont eat themselves, I would rather replace a clutch on a manual than parts of a DSG in the case anything goes wrong.