GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWO Blown turbo's with less than 13k miles!

cb1111

The OP didn't pay. But now his story is that VW didn't pay, either.

I wonder what the story will be an hour from now.
Correct. Somebody other than VW paid.

I wrote it the way I did because if I'd have just said "if a VW dealer replaced the turbo" then somebody here would have chastised me because i might have given the impression that VW paid.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Hold on, let me summarize this.

Two turbos blown in 13k

First blown on APR tune
Second blown on JB4 tune

First turbo was NOT replaced by VW dealer, but the tuner besides VW dealer, and according to the other thread, the tuner wanted to flash back to stock in case turbo MIGHT blow again? uhh ok... that's a red flag right there

Second turbo blows on JB4 tune... well at this point who knows if the tune helped with the turbo blowing, but by the sounds of this thread, and the other thread, someone didn't do a proper job replacing the first turbo. Whether it was cleaning everything properly, or if it was a used turbo, or... you get the point

You might've been unlucky the first time around, but I'm sorry to say, I don't think you're unlucky on this second turbo, I think you might've got screwed by the tuning shop when they replaced the first turbo

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Many of you haven't been here since 2014/2015, but it was not uncommon for tuned folks to get turbos replaced no questions asked.

Obviously it's not like that anymore. So all skepticism is warranted. But felt like that was worth mentioning.

adam1991

Banned
Many of you haven't been here since 2014/2015, but it was not uncommon for tuned folks to get turbos replaced no questions asked.

Obviously it's not like that anymore. So all skepticism is warranted. But felt like that was worth mentioning.

The 2015 models, as far as I know, were known for turbo weaknesses from the factory.

If VW took care of all of those known VINs, even if they were tuned, I applaud VW. (Does anyone know?)

But then VW fixed THEIR problems. Now if turbos blow, I can imagine VW wanting to know if the car is bone stock or not.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The 2015 models, as far as I know, were known for turbo weaknesses from the factory.

If VW took care of all of those known VINs, even if they were tuned, I applaud VW. (Does anyone know?)

But then VW fixed THEIR problems. Now if turbos blow, I can imagine VW wanting to know if the car is bone stock or not.

Yeah they basically just didn't ask questions when a stock turbo blew. They had already been out for two years in Europe and had already gone thru numerous turbo revisions, and STILL hadn't gotten the issues out of the way by time they brought them to America. For about a year (Mid-2014-Mid-2015) turbos were still popping stock, left and right.

It was funny though, I came from the MK6 GTI which had the same clutch failure problems at elevated power levels that we currently experience with the MK7. And it was widely accepted that the MK7's did NOT have the same issue. And as time has gone on, the public has found out that the first ~8 months of MK7 production in America got clutches that were SUPER good from the factory. Many many people in that build date range went Stage 2 and got 50K+ miles out of their stock clutches, which is more than we can currently say.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I am willing to bet shop that did the first turbo replacement fucked something up.

I have Apr 2015 build and it has "G" rev turbo...if that matters.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Sorry to hear about this man, really sucks.

Does dealer 2 know your car was tuned at any point? The reason I ask is because when they get back and find out the car was previously flagged and is in for a motor related issue VWoA may not reimburse the dealer for any labor and use of a loaner car.

Additionally the dealer may try to bill you for labor if they are doing this work when you already knew it was TD1. I hope this is not the scenario though.

Also, can you find out what turbo the first shop replaced it with?

cb1111

I am willing to bet shop that did the first turbo replacement fucked something up.

I have Apr 2015 build and it has "G" rev turbo...if that matters.
Makes little difference because the car is in a VW dealership 1000 miles away. At best - if he can prove that the initial repair was botched - he can file a claim with them and hope for some sort of reimbursement.