GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR springs - drive gone hard

GIAC_gti

Hi All,

I have VWR Springs for over a year and had no issues till recently. The car has gone noticebly stiffer and less forgiving towards any bumps and dips in the road. I would assume the shocks are starting to go?

I still have a maintenance plan in place, I wanted to know if VW would still attend to this issue given the fact that I have VWR springs fitted and not the original springs? Im afraid to ask them to see to it and potentially end up getting the suspension warranty cancelled?

Thanks in advance.

cb1111

You have no more suspension warranty. That went bye-bye the nano second you installed the springs.

You may no longer have a drivetrain warranty.

This has nothing to do with a maintenance plan.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I think you mean the drive has gone soft...so it's crashing through the suspension on bumps.

As stated, shocks are not a standard maintenance item and this problem is a direct result of using a lowering spring on stock dampers which are not designed for the added stress.

Time to pay up.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Remember that a lowered car places more stress on the axles.
Yeah, which is why I say it may be a stretch, not impossible ;)

Anyways, best rule of thumb when modding is to assume you're going to have a hard time with any warranty work. However, it doesn't hurt to ask, and if it's covered, great; if it's not, pay to play...

cb1111

Yeah, which is why I say it may be a stretch, not impossible ;)

Anyways, best rule of thumb when modding is to assume you're going to have a hard time with any warranty work. However, it doesn't hurt to ask, and if it's covered, great; if it's not, pay to play...
Too bad people don't think about this before they mod.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Too bad people don't think about this before they mod.

Some don’t care and will deal with it later. Some don’t know that this sort of thing will occur, eventually. Research is key for some, but not for everyone.

I knew nothing about this stuff and so I did some homework. Went with a less aggressive spring (DG) hoping that I’d lengthen the time before experiencing this sort of thing.

Admittedly, I don’t know for certain what my options are if I have to replace the struts (DCC). But, if I still own this car when these symptoms present, I will deal with it then. Who knows what will happen in the meantime.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If the axles on this car can't handle the low from ED springs, I think I need to find a different vehicle. :rolleyes:

There's no additional stress on axles.

You can take the axles completely out of the car and it would make no difference to the suspension.

They are not a weight bearing component.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
The only negative impact I can see on the axles is operating angle, but I don't think it's that significant to cause any issues.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
The only negative impact I can see on the axles is operating angle, but I don't think it's that significant to cause any issues.

Nope, not at all.

They're designed to go from full sag to full compression at the bump stops. Changing the ride height (within reason) is still well within their intended range.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
There's no additional stress on axles.

You can take the axles completely out of the car and it would make no difference to the suspension.

They are not a weight bearing component.

Correct on all three points. However, more torque stress may be placed on the axle joints, which might be transmitting torque at angles further oblique to the axle (angle of articulation) than when stock.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Your best bet is to put the stock springs back in then take it to the dealer if you are still under warranty. They will most likely see right through it though and say, "Well it's pretty obvious you had this lowered. That'll be $3000 bucks."

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
Your best bet is to put the stock springs back in then take it to the dealer if you are still under warranty. They will most likely see right through it though and say, "Well it's pretty obvious you had this lowered. That'll be $3000 bucks."

That's so not your best bet. Just replace your shocks and call it good, i'd be highly surprised if that's not the issue. If its truly not then oh well, they prob need to be replaced anyways.