GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf R engine in a Mk6 GTI

Candyman2121

So i was wondering if it would be possible to swap out an engine from a salvage MK7 Golf R and put it in my Mk6 GTI? I know the Mk7 R has the Gen3 and an AWD setup while my Mk6 has the Gen1 FWD, but is it something that can be done without sinking thousands and thousands into doing modifications for it to function? If it is possible would the standard ECU work if it was retuned or would a whole new one be needed?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hopefully people don't think about this too hard. The answer you want to hear is NO. Don't.

You would need to make your GTI an R first to get the AWD, that is a process. Requires changing a ton of parts.

Then the computers/canbus/AWD/ABS would probably not communicate. Road block/dead end.

Just buy a K04 or big turbo kit for your motor now, or buy a used MK7 R. Not worth it.

Candyman2121

Hopefully people don't think about this too hard. The answer you want to hear is NO. Don't.

You would need to make your GTI an R first to get the AWD, that is a process. Requires changing a ton of parts.

Then the computers/canbus/AWD/ABS would probably not communicate. Road block/dead end.

Just buy a K04 or big turbo kit for your motor now, or buy a used MK7 R. Not worth it.

Damn. I had hope for a minute lol. thanks for the info!

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
is it something that can be done without sinking thousands and thousands into doing modifications for it to function?

That's a big negative ghost rider

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Main problem is that the MQB platform was designed to tilt ALL engines backwards by 12degs.....

The MK6 Golf platform has the petrol engines tilted forwards...

So custom mounts etc are the least of your problems....then the wiring architecture is more complex on MK7...

MQB platform is a leap forward over previous gen....much like trying to get MK5 stuff to fit MK4...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Main problem is that the MQB platform was designed to tilt ALL engines backwards by 12degs.....

The MK6 Golf platform has the petrol engines tilted forwards...

So custom mounts etc are the least of your problems....then the wiring architecture is more complex on MK7...

MQB platform is a leap forward over previous gen....much like trying to get MK5 stuff to fit MK4...

OP. just get a Stage 3 for the MK6.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
stupid question...besides body style as people have bias, what do you feel is the reason for doing all this work?

I don't mean to sound like an @$$ but the MK7 GTI seems to be better in every aspect especially tech, then the MK6, and when you do an ECU tune your in a very happy place. When you start looking at costs you will see you were better off grabbing a brand new MK7.5