GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
We were never told there was a maximum that was allowed in additive. Just that 1,500 has to be below 10. Nothing about 2,000 on up. If 10 is the max for additive, then I need to stick with thit absolute

Gotcha, might have just been an assumption or miscommunication of how the code worked.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
try to set the 6-cylinder timing to 1 if it's on 0, I set mine to 1 and all my absolute boost were working as additive.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Looks like that info has gone full circle :p. It originated with George telling TwinDad. The way TwinDad told me is that it doesn't force the JB4 to be additive, just allows the JB4 to add more than 10 PSI over the stock curve. This is necessary for absolute curves where the target is set at more than 10 PSI over stock as well.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Three more logs from tonight. Ambient temp was 55 degrees F. All logs were 5-10 minutes apart.

George suggested dropping one more PSI at 4500 and 5000rpm.

The first two logs still have the crater in Ign1 between 4000 and 5000rpm. It feels like I could request 12psi at those rpms and that crater would still remain.

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-10-20-1?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-10-20-2?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18

On the third log it looks like the Ign1 crater has vanished, but it now drops significantly at around 5900rpm...

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-10-20-3?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18

Maybe it worked itself out or maybe that third log was a fluke....who knows.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Looks like that info has gone full circle :p. It originated with George telling TwinDad. The way TwinDad told me is that it doesn't force the JB4 to be additive, just allows the JB4 to add more than 10 PSI over the stock curve. This is necessary for absolute curves where the target is set at more than 10 PSI over stock as well.

Yes, we have seen it work in practice as well since he originally explained it.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I’ll give it a shot. At what point can I go to 15-16 though. By 3,000 I’ll need it. I’m not trying to question your expertise, but I already had good logs that hit 23 psi. The logs I sent were the ones with higher targets of 26.3 and 27.3. Where the trims were getting maxed. If I start with 3,4,5,6 and work to 10. I’m only targeting like 14-15 at 3,000 and 18-19 peak. I’m not sure what that will help me with over just going for 23 psi absolute setting

Your target and boost is to far away from each other. In the logs you are seeing what is safe based on what the car is currently achieving boost wise even though the request is around 4psi higher in some parts. If for whatever reason under specific load up a hill the car does achieve the target you might find out the wrong way that the request was too high.

On the additive you can go up in big steps, for now see if it can add more than 10 which it should. Also keep in mind going into winter less boost is required for the same amount of power.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Your target and boost is to far away from each other. In the logs you are seeing what is safe based on what the car is currently achieving boost wise even though the request is around 4psi higher in some parts. If for whatever reason under specific load up a hill the car does achieve the target you might find out the wrong way that the request was too high.

On the additive you can go up in big steps, for now see if it can add more than 10 which it should. Also keep in mind going into winter less boost is required for the same amount of power.

At what rpm point should I go past 10 for it not to trigger absolute? Can I start 3,4 and then go 10,12,12,12? That should put me in the 19psi range. Still low, but a start

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I tried 3,4,8,10.8,12,12.6 and kept 12.6 as the high and then dropped a bit at 6,500-7,000. It didn’t work. Went to absolute again. I hit about 15.8 psi. Higher than target, but definitely not anywhere near the additive target. My ecu was requesting in the 8’s

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Normal consensus always is that if timing takes a hit, your boost is too high. I’m not sure if you have done a downpipe yet, but it’s been explained quite a bit that the IS12 does not like increased boost past 4,000. That should be your peak and you should taper from there. Without a downpipe your peak is only going to be like 16.5-17 on good premium fuel. With a downpipe you may hit 19. Timing dropping to 4 is not making power. 6-8 in the midrange and hitting 15+ up top is

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Normal consensus always is that if timing takes a hit, your boost is too high. I’m not sure if you have done a downpipe yet, but it’s been explained quite a bit that the IS12 does not like increased boost past 4,000. That should be your peak and you should taper from there. Without a downpipe your peak is only going to be like 16.5-17 on good premium fuel. With a downpipe you may hit 19. Timing dropping to 4 is not making power. 6-8 in the midrange and hitting 15+ up top is

I'm still on stock DP. Question for following the timing curve from map 4:
For example, if on map 4 at 4000rpm the timing is 6 degrees (just an arbitrary number) so I should aim for 6 degrees at 4000rpm at 17psi (also an arbitrary number) on map6. If map 6 at 4000rpm @17psi gives me 2 degrees less the degree from map4 (in this case is 6 degrees), I should lower the boost until I hit 6 degrees on map6?

Thanks

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'm still on stock DP. Question for following the timing curve from map 4:
For example, if on map 4 at 4000rpm the timing is 6 degrees (just an arbitrary number) so I should aim for 6 degrees at 4000rpm at 17psi (also an arbitrary number) on map6. If map 6 at 4000rpm @17psi gives me 2 degrees less the degree from map4 (in this case is 6 degrees), I should lower the boost until I hit 6 degrees on map6?

Thanks

Yes. Pretty much try to follow the stock curve. The only way it would be worth while is if whatever boost you hit at 6 degrees, you could hit like 4 more psi at 4 degrees. The amount of boost has to be significant enough to be worth the timing loss

Slick99

Ready to race!
Lol. You forget who you are talking to. I’ve already had it to 27 psi. I was getting some glitches with absolute and George wanted me to try additive. If the additive mode limits to just 10 and then switches to absolute as a default, I can’t use the additive then. My load in my last log went as high as +16.5 psi. I had a weird dip in the Ign1 setting on two of the logs. On it just randomly dropped to 1 and then went back to normal. On the other log it’s just randomly dropped to 0 for two cells and then back up to 9.

haha i forgot, i guess u were the first to test these settings on additive. Anyhow how are ur boost holding on absolute. Slight off topic ques does rs7 plugs really help? which plugs u have beru or ngk?