GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6mt Transmission fluid flush

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Do you guys know if it is recommended to flush the transmission fluid at a routine schedule. I think VW claims it lasts a life time, but I know most of us are tuned so was just wondering if anything is adding this as a maintenance item.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Do you guys know if it is recommended to flush the transmission fluid at a routine schedule. I think VW claims it lasts a life time, but I know most of us are tuned so was just wondering if anything is adding this as a maintenance item.

You pretty much covered it. VW doesn't specify it as a maintenance item. But yes, definitely change it out once in awhile. I will probably be changing mine at roughly 20K with some Motul Gear 300 and then maybe again at 50K.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Also, Rule #1 of the DIY manual gear oil change: make sure you're able to loosen and pull the fill plug before you pull the drain plug. ;)

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I change mine every year

Can't hurt, and easy to remember. And if you track or AutoX or drive in cities, it's good preventive maintenance.

I'm all highway and don't hit tracks much.

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Yea I track maybe once every 2 months and drive it hard city/highways, I'll see to maybe drain it out yearly then. I just had a stage 3 clutch install and believe they flushed it for that so I'll start my count now haha.

I'd recommend flushing at 20k first and every 80 to 100k. I'd use Volkswagen gear oil only.
I didn't see any confirmation for any other gear oil being any better.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'd recommend flushing at 20k first and every 80 to 100k. I'd use Volkswagen gear oil only.
I didn't see any confirmation for any other gear oil being any better.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the oem G052527A2, other than it's outrageously expensive at ~$40/L in the US. Motul Gear 300 costs almost half that ($22.67/L at time of this post on Amazon) and is one of the best products on the market, which is why it's what I use and recommend. 100% synthetic GL-4/5. Spec sheet: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...2/Gear_300_75W-90_3178_(GB)[1].pdf?1303320907

Moonluv also asked about capacity. It's around 2.4L. Buy three liters to be safe.

Last edited:

Isn't it G052171A2? Not sure, I just took a quick look. ;)
If so, it's from 25 to 30 € 1 l in Europe. If Motul is half of that and meets VW spec
you're perhaps fine. GL-4/5 alone says nothing about quality though. I could be
wrong but as far as I know the gear oil should meet VW TL 521 71 spec.
Both Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75W certainly does and Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80
perhaps also. At least it fulfills Audi TL 52532. The Motul data sheet doesn't spec
any of these sadly:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...2/Gear_300_75W-90_3178_(GB)[1].pdf?1303320907

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I listed the high performance VW gear oil. I assumed folks on an enthusiast forum would want the high performance oil. If you want the basic version, go for it. I'm sure it won't break anything badly. ;) I'll stick with Motul, personally. And it's cheaper. Winning. The Redline MTL that russiankid mentioned is a decent choice as well, and even cheaper than both oem and Motul.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
This is no DSG, no reason to change it so early. My zx3 is at 185k and original fill. I may change it if/when I needed to replace clutch.