GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
George,

Stock Golf 1.8T with JB1 here.
91 octane is what I put in and is the highest I can get.
Outside Temperature : Summer: 25C(77F) Winter: -20C(-4F)

I am seeing the same low boost level (P3 Gauge w/real boost tap on intake manifold) as TwinDad (8 stock, 11 JB1map1). Did not tried it in the summer yet thought...

This is my daily driver that I don't plan to modify further. I want to get the JB4 upgrade but what would be the benefits? Is map1 stronger on JB4 vs JB1? Can I run map2 stock with 91? Should I do map6 (I don't see myslef adjusting it 4 time a year to accomodate temperature thought...)

Thanks!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
George,

Stock Golf 1.8T with JB1 here.
91 octane is what I put in and is the highest I can get.
Outside Temperature : Summer: 25C(77F) Winter: -20C(-4F)

I am seeing the same low boost level (P3 Gauge w/real boost tap on intake manifold) as TwinDad (8 stock, 11 JB1map1). Did not tried it in the summer yet thought...

This is my daily driver that I don't plan to modify further. I want to get the JB4 upgrade but what would be the benefits? Is map1 stronger on JB4 vs JB1? Can I run map2 stock with 91? Should I do map6 (I don't see myslef adjusting it 4 time a year to accomodate temperature thought...)

Thanks!

I know George will respond as well, but if you use target on map6, you don't have to always adjust it. Also, the JB4 will monitor everything more than the JB1. It will allow you to optimize your settings for 91 octane better. The map 1 is supposed to be smoother and more power than the JB1. Once you log it, you can then see all of your timing and AFR values to know if you can add more boost or need to remove some. You can also see it at specific rpms. It made a huge difference with my car. I would never go back to the JB1 after having the JB4.

Slick99

Ready to race!
Boost is a measurement of restriction, with the valve lift there is more flow so although boost is lower there is more air flow overall. In terms of tune they run quite different so settings for them are in the 4's mostly. Transmissions are also not capable of high torque levels.
George with aftermarket support and jb4 will i be able to increase lil more boost?

Sent from my HTC 10

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I have a little warmer weather here today, around 50 Fahrenheit. I also used a different gas. I had to fill up last time with 92 from a wawa. I added a bottle of royal purple octane booster to help it out. I was getting timing corrections and was maxing around 16 degrees on timing. I ran it down and then filled up with 93 from Exxon. My corrections went away. I even added a little more boost from 3500-5500. Still no corrections and my timing is now going up to 18.5 degrees at 6,400 rpms. What a difference good fuel makes. Only top tier from now on. The car feels a lot stronger with the extra 1lb of boost and more timing. It is also showing more timing across the mid range on up. Anxious to try some e85 blended in

Slick99

Ready to race!
Just installed the jb4 today, i havent drove much....but m running on map 1 on 20psi....cant run on map 2 as its too aggresive for my A3 gearbox

Sent from my HTC 10

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just installed the jb4 today, i havent drove much....but m running on map 1 on 20psi....cant run on map 2 as its too aggresive for my A3 gearbox

Sent from my HTC 10

Wow. So map 1 is giving you 20psi? What's you outside temp and IAT? I'm only getting in the 11's on map 2 when I'm at 0C/32F. I am using map 6 and can get into the 15's before timing corrections. I'm hoping a downpipe will allow a little more

Slick99

Ready to race!
Wow. So map 1 is giving you 20psi? What's you outside temp and IAT? I'm only getting in the 11's on map 2 when I'm at 0C/32F. I am using map 6 and can get into the 15's before timing corrections. I'm hoping a downpipe will allow a little more
All the values not showing on pc so i downloaded android apps same thing all displays not working. Only user adjustments working, i had to set safetyboost to 20psi as it was set to 24psi in default. Fuel Open loop was on 60 which is fine, first gear set to 14psi. I have told George about display prob and so i guess i have to put jb1 board back as to check all the display/values working.

Sent from my HTC 10

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I have a little warmer weather here today, around 50 Fahrenheit. I also used a different gas. I had to fill up last time with 92 from a wawa. I added a bottle of royal purple octane booster to help it out. I was getting timing corrections and was maxing around 16 degrees on timing. I ran it down and then filled up with 93 from Exxon. My corrections went away. I even added a little more boost from 3500-5500. Still no corrections and my timing is now going up to 18.5 degrees at 6,400 rpms. What a difference good fuel makes. Only top tier from now on. The car feels a lot stronger with the extra 1lb of boost and more timing. It is also showing more timing across the mid range on up. Anxious to try some e85 blended in
Proof that over the counter octane booster is next to useless.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Proof that over the counter octane booster is next to useless.

So true. According to their specs, it should have raised my octane to at least 95.5. Never buying anything outside of top tier for now on. The only thing else that will go in the tank will be a little e85 maybe

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone with JB4 have plans to upgrade their turbo to the IS20?

I did the IS20 swap this summer and beta testing with George. It went very well. Everything is still working flawlessly. The dyno run I did was with conservative boost(less than I was running with jb1 is12) and got 239 wheel with over 300 torque. Winter hit, so I never got a chance to do another run. But I did ad another 2 psi in the mid-top end. The logs looked great. With no dyno run to confirm, it's speculation...But I would expect and bet that I'm at least at 250 wheel hp now. Maybe more.

Look at the unitronic is20 graph to get an idea. But there is basically no loss at the bottom, but a real nice boost in midrange to top end. The top end gains hold out to red line, so it feels great.

"The car" also feels happy. It revs clean and feels understressed.

Nyulak

Ready to race!
I did the IS20 swap this summer and beta testing with George. It went very well. Everything is still working flawlessly. The dyno run I did was with conservative boost(less than I was running with jb1 is12) and got 239 wheel with over 300 torque. Winter hit, so I never got a chance to do another run. But I did ad another 2 psi in the mid-top end. The logs looked great. With no dyno run to confirm, it's speculation...But I would expect and bet that I'm at least at 250 wheel hp now. Maybe more.

Look at the unitronic is20 graph to get an idea. But there is basically no loss at the bottom, but a real nice boost in midrange to top end. The top end gains hold out to red line, so it feels great.

Would the results be better with JB4 stacked with an APR Stage 2 tune? I already get 240 WHP with just the tune, so I don't see a big benefit to go with a stand-alone JB4 implementation if I want to switch to an IS20.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

How much boost are you hitting and what was the boost at for the dyno. Can you share your settings. I'm thinking of going IS20 maybe. Still considering upgrading to the awd wagon though and then doing it

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I found a good deal on an IS20 so will probably be doing the swap pretty soon. I'll be buying a JB4 once the IS20 is in the mail, so too much power here we come! George, expect me to contact you when I get ready to install, I'm going to need a lot of help to tune it correctly on top of the APR Stage 1 flash.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Would the results be better with JB4 stacked with an APR Stage 2 tune? I already get 240 WHP with just the tune, so I don't see a big benefit to go with a stand-alone JB4 implementation if I want to switch to an IS20.

Ask George to be sure, but I don't think you would need to stack.

The 239 hp run was with only about 16 psi peak and 13 at red line. There is more to be had. That's low stress for is20.

With the jb1 and is12 I was peaking at 18 and holding almost 10 to red line on a good run. Worse runs would still peak at 18 but go to 8 at red line. I don't know about timing because jb1 didn't log it.

George hit 260 with a non domestic 1.8. I don't know what the boost profile was. The European 1.8 has variable valve timing on the exhaust cam too. George thinks thinks that helps with the 260. George's advertived numbers are always conservative for good reason. But he says it's up to us to push more if we want.

But. Apr and jb4 can get 240 with the is12. It's a high number, but doable in the right conditions.

Unitronic advertises 300 crank and approx 40 hp crank increase over their own is12 tune. This is for the U.S. car without the extra variable valve timing.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to see 250 low side, 270 or more high side.

Apr, unitronics and JB1/JB4 numbers have panned out for many on dynojet dynos. So I think it's reasonable to extrapolate from history and claims.

Is20 should be an easy 30wheel or more over the is12.

But even at 239, the is20 carried so much more hp to red line and lost nothing in the low/mid that it felt faster than the numbers suggest.

Again, see unitronics graphs to give you an idea.

Last edited: