GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving mode - part II

RedKelt

Passed Driver's Ed
A while back I posted about the driving mode on my 2017 Golf SE not working.

The car came back from the dealer today after they had a look at it.

They say the driving mode button shouldn't be on the console as the car does not have driving mode installed and that the driving mode is an optional extra on SE models.

The button isn't a blanking button, you can push it and it illuminates.

I thought driving mode came as standard on SE models.

Am I wrong?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
A while back I posted about the driving mode on my 2017 Golf SE not working.

The car came back from the dealer today after they had a look at it.

They say the driving mode button shouldn't be on the console as the car does not have driving mode installed and that the driving mode is an optional extra on SE models.

The button isn't a blanking button, you can push it and it illuminates.

I thought driving mode came as standard on SE models.

Am I wrong?

The spec sheet says it's standard. Mines a 2014 Match (not sure where that sits in the current trims, I believe it's the same as the SE) and I have it as standard.

I don't see why they'd put the button in if it weren't supposed to work; as you say, it would be blanked off.

Your dealer is moronic.

RedKelt

Passed Driver's Ed
I've emailed VW, let's see what they say.

The lady on the phone at the dealer suggested that the console may have been replaced after damage and the wrong console was fitted, hence there being a button present.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I've emailed VW, let's see what they say.

The lady on the phone at the dealer suggested that the console may have been replaced after damage and the wrong console was fitted, hence there being a button present.

What a load of crap - they're absolutely clueless.

Have you shown them VWs website where it clearly states that an SE trim Golf has "Driver Profile Select".

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Driving mode..ESC off & TPMS buttons are all via the touch screen as the main interface...if VW decided to fit the aux button for that function is up to them....

I had ESEC off & TPMS as standard spec for GT model...but via touchscreen only......but have retro fitted the AUX buttons around the gearstick for these functions...

Basically its cheaper for VW to not fit the buttons...

RedKelt

Passed Driver's Ed
Driving mode..ESC off & TPMS buttons are all via the touch screen as the main interface...if VW decided to fit the aux button for that function is up to them....

I had ESEC off & TPMS as standard spec for GT model...but via touchscreen only......but have retro fitted the AUX buttons around the gearstick for these functions...

Basically its cheaper for VW to not fit the buttons...

I've looked for Driving Mode on the touchscreen and cant find it. Could you post the path here that works for you?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Check your window sticker and show it to them if it’s on there.

cb1111

Window sticker?
XM Rocks is referring to the "Monroney sticker" that is used in the US to show a customer what the manufacturer's suggested retail price is and what options are on the vehicle. Over the years it has evolved with gas mileage, crash and emissions raings. It is named after Senator Mike Monroney of Oklahoma who introduced the original bill in 1958. It is technically known as the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958 and took effect with the 1959 model year.

It has nothing to do with cars sold outside of the US.

Back on topic.

If the button was installed following an accident and it lights up, then somebody had to wire it up to something.

Methinks the dealer is full of the brown smelly stuff.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
XM Rocks is referring to the "Monroney sticker" that is used in the US to show a customer what the manufacturer's suggested retail price is and what options are on the vehicle. Over the years it has evolved with gas mileage, crash and emissions raings. It is named after Senator Mike Monroney of Oklahoma who introduced the original bill in 1958. It is technically known as the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958 and took effect with the 1959 model year.

It has nothing to do with cars sold outside of the US.

Back on topic.

If the button was installed following an accident and it lights up, then somebody had to wire it up to something.

Methinks the dealer is full of the brown smelly stuff.

Gotcha. OP could check their Vehicle Data Sticker which should be in the service book. According to my data sheet, the code may be "2H5" for "Driving profile selection and conventional shock absorber".

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just had a look at the 2018 MK7.5 UK specs (UK pricelist) & Driving mode with "shortcut button" should be there...only the 1.0lt in the SE spec does not get it.....

RedKelt

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had a look at the 2018 MK7.5 UK specs (UK pricelist) & Driving mode with "shortcut button" should be there...only the 1.0lt in the SE spec does not get it.....

Thx mate, they're pissing me off with this, how simple could it be?

My email query hasn't been replied to either.

ofektal8

Passed Driver's Ed
If The switch illuminates, that means there are wires going from the bcm just for the mode select button, so they are bullshitting you. if they replaced the center condole with the wrong one then the driving mode wont do anything.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RedKelt

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally got a reply from VW … as follows..

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the above vehicle. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I have discussed your enquiry with our Technical Support Team, they have advised that Driving Profile Selection is fitted in your vehicle.

If you continue to experience any issues with your vehicle, please contact your local Volkswagen Retailer, who will be happy to help.

Details of your local Retailer can be found on our website:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/find-a-retailer

I hope this information proves to be of use. Should you have any other questions or require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me using the details below.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Anyway I've looking around the internet and resetting the infotainment system may be an option.

Anyone done this? Is it wise or not?

Last edited: