GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electronic Power Steering jerky - GTI

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
i have noticed this same phenomenon on a few different occasions. it seems to come and go. i can't remember when i first noticed it (i'm @ 26,000 miles now) but it was just as described, a brief "sticky spot" in the steering when moving from dead straight. it went away after the first time and i've noticed it occasionally since, most recently on a 500 mile round-trip over the weekend. however i did NOT experience it on a 1,500 mile round-trip 3 weeks ago.

fwiw i rotate my tires every 5k miles, still on the original pirelli cinturatos. maybe it's a product of the rotation and having different tires in different spots (front-to-back only)? that would account for it coming and going...:confused:

thought i would bump this back up... i just repeated the same 500 mile round-trip that i did over thanksgiving (where i was having the "sticky" steering issue). this time? did not notice it once. only change to the car was a fresh set of conti DWS tires...

BITCHJETTA

Bumping this old thread. Did anybody figure out a fix for this steering issue? Is it confirmed to be the DSR acting up?

This same thing is happening to my car multiple times a day now. When I've been driving for around 10-20 minutes, the steering wheel will all-of-the-sudden lose some of its steering assistance, which makes it become stiff and very jerky. I'm 100% sure the problem is electric because I can switch the engine off/on (on the highway) and it immediately reverts back to normal for another ~10 minutes before it happens again.

It sounds like I will have to bring it into the dealer and pay the "diagnostic fee" to figure out what the problem is.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
i just did another 1,500+ mile round trip on my recently rotated DWS tires and did NOT notice it once. haven't felt it since my trip back in november, about 5-6k miles ago :confused:

BITCHJETTA

lolololol that's cute.

mine has come and gone over 30k+ miles, but like you said if you were able to make it go away for a bit by turning the car off, i don't know if rotating the tires will help...

I mean, I don't know what's causing it either. Just a thought. Both steering modules are not showing any codes via OBD11. I put Conti DWS06 tires on my car too, so that's two things we have in common. I feel something that the dealer would say is the stickier tires are putting more load on the driveline, which could potentially cause the electric steering issues. No idea.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
I mean, I don't know what's causing it either. Just a thought. Both steering modules are not showing any codes via OBD11. I put Conti DWS06 tires on my car too, so that's two things we have in common. I feel something that the dealer would say is the stickier tires are putting more load on the driveline, which could potentially cause the electric steering issues. No idea.

the last time i experienced it was on the original pirellis at around 26k miles (which were rotated every 5k) but again it would come and go. i put the DWS06 on just before 30k and i haven't noticed it since.

Minitech

Car(s)
18 Mk7.5 GTI DSG SE
Bumping this old thread. Did anybody figure out a fix for this steering issue? Is it confirmed to be the DSR acting up?

This same thing is happening to my car multiple times a day now. When I've been driving for around 10-20 minutes, the steering wheel will all-of-the-sudden lose some of its steering assistance, which makes it become stiff and very jerky. I'm 100% sure the problem is electric because I can switch the engine off/on (on the highway) and it immediately reverts back to normal for another ~10 minutes before it happens again.

It sounds like I will have to bring it into the dealer and pay the "diagnostic fee" to figure out what the problem is.

Bumping again BITCHJETTA, as i am having the exact same issue and cannot find any post else ware here on the forums, was wondering if you or any one else ever figured out the cause ? Took car to the dealer twice they have no fault so are clueless too.

The Tortoise

Were you driving in a strong crosswind?

I've had this happen on occasion. Usually it's in strong cross wind with the roof box one. I think it's something in the programming.

Minitech

Car(s)
18 Mk7.5 GTI DSG SE
Hi sorry for the delay, no there is no crosswind it clears with a key reset, i think its possibly a bad steering rack or programing, i have OBD11 and scanned all the control modules for codes the only code i get is a U141100 Battery Terminal Recognition Open Circuit. I and dealer have checked the battery (load test and connections) but all looks good.

Minitech

Car(s)
18 Mk7.5 GTI DSG SE
Just a quick update my steering started acting up here again usually seems to do it when temps are in the upper 80F-90F (also something totally new) my interior fan was set to speed 6 (wide open), but it then slowed to almost off (like speed 1) for the rest of my drive, even when i tried different settings on the heater controls and interior. Now i am wondering if its a ground or alternator issue but so far no codes yet on OBD11.

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Bump. My car just started doing the same thing and it has only 10k miles. Happened once so far where it felt like I was driving with two flat tire. Got the codes scanned and it looked like something had drawn a huge amount of power and leaving the electric steering almost non existent. Just happened again tonight. Going to get it scanned in the morning and probably head to the dealer next.

Minitech

Car(s)
18 Mk7.5 GTI DSG SE
Update the dealer and after testing the alternator and battery and working the vw dealer tech support testing several modules, they ended up replacing my steering rack assembly and its control module that i built into the rack with new assembly under warranty.