GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Powertrain Warranty Help

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
Pull your hot side intercooler hose. You may not be burning that oil.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Hi Everyone, it's been awhile since I posted, but I hope everyone is doing good. I'm about to approach 60,000 miles and I have a dilemma of whether or not I should purchase the powertrain warranty.

I want the powertrain warranty because I've been having issues with my GTI burning oil fairly quick. I burn about 1 quart/1,500 miles. I usually add an extra quart at 5,000 miles just so the low oil light won't come on. I already took it to the dealership, and according to the VW manual it's OK for the car to consume 1 quart / 1,200 miles.

I also have a Revision T turbo, which have been known not to be the most reliable. The turbo could be the reason why I'm burning so much oil, but it's hard to tell.

I really want to keep the car for at least another 40,000 miles, but this issue has me bummed out. The motors for these cars can run up to $15,000 for parts + labor.

did not see anyone ask, but do you have a tune or are you 100% stock? sorry if I missed it. Thanks

matimer

Ready to race!
did not see anyone ask, but do you have a tune or are you 100% stock? sorry if I missed it. Thanks
I was tuned for about 15,000 miles with JB1+intake, but I took it off cause it needed a recall fix and my dealership isn't mod friendly. That was at ~30,000 miles and I was eventually going to put it back on, but never did. Then 12,000 miles later I started noticing the oil consumption.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
since JB1 should be "undetectable", or at least VW does not concentrate too much on it, extended warranty is an available option for you :)
I am tuned and I still have full warranty since I never reported a major engine issue, as a matter of fact I was just in and they replace one of my 02 sensor under warranty and I have the APR DP. However from what I am gathering, if I do have a major engine problem VW will most likely deny my claim, that said I am not sure if I get an extended warranty not trough VW if I would have the same issue or not.

adam1991

Banned
since JB1 should be "undetectable", or at least VW does not concentrate too much on it, extended warranty is an available option for you

VWoA has nothing to do with extended warranty service. VWoA is responsible for only the factory new car warranty. They have chosen to check for mods when they're on the hook for paying out.

Extended warranties are all 3rd party service plans, each with its own set of T&C. Could the third party ask if the car has been modded? Maybe, but really, outside of VWoA's system, there's no guaranteed way for them to know.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
VWoA has nothing to do with extended warranty service. VWoA is responsible for only the factory new car warranty. They have chosen to check for mods when they're on the hook for paying out.

Extended warranties are all 3rd party service plans, each with its own set of T&C. Could the third party ask if the car has been modded? Maybe, but really, outside of VWoA's system, there's no guaranteed way for them to know.

VWoA also covers the 2 year CPO warranties. You can basically get anything you want looked at for a $50 deductible.