Tough guy or waver?

• Tough Guy

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Trying to spark a humorous discussion here.

Since owning a VW in 2012, I have learned of the very deep following many of us share and would like to maintain towards our brand(s). Growing up in a Mopar household, the extent of my VW knowledge stopped at "Beatles are ugly". After working for the brand for a few years however all of that changed. It is a strong community full of very loyal followers. I admire it.

I must say however, not many of us wave. Since having my GTI, I have had one other GTI driver interaction on the road. They were very enthusiastic at that, and were trying to make up for all the tough guy sour faces I see. Honked at me even :D Thank you black GTI S APR stage II owner, you were very kind. I myself wave at my fellow kamerades, I usually get the dead, motionless hand at the 12 o'clock position in return. Just curious what others felt, do you just wave at GTIs like yours? Or are there other stipulations? Lol. I just don't want to be one of two guys who wave.

Coming from the corvette fraternity for 10 years...I miss that...almost never pass another vette without both waving or honking

jbm119

Ready to race!
Well, when I owned Mini when it first entered US market, Mini's were rare and whenever I saw Mini, I waved and they waved back, without any agenda or reason. It seemed we were just acknowledging that we share same passion for a brand. But, as it got more popular, if I may say that but still not like VW, it disappeared. Not many waved back. No body waves at each other in Toyota. Is this make sense?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
gotta laugh at the %.....all the wavers must be in a different locale. I know CT isn't the friendliest state but few here wave back. None scientific study says it's the WRX folks that acknowledge the most.

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
Waver on my motorcycle, was a waver in my B5 (only to modified B5s, most B5ers around here are grandpas), and still a waver in the GTI. If I don't get a wave back, whatever, but a little "hey nice car" from a fellow GTI'er is nice.

WorkhorseGTi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTi SE 6MT
I do this but not often enough... I Vow to Wave to every GTi/R as there are just too many VWs in the metro NY area.

Even to that guy with the Blue R who gave me the stink eye cause my Non-Modded GTi was beneath his R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
I thumbs up each chance i get :)

ieddtech

Passed Driver's Ed
Trying to spark a humorous discussion here.

Since owning a VW in 2012, I have learned of the very deep following many of us share and would like to maintain towards our brand(s). Growing up in a Mopar household, the extent of my VW knowledge stopped at "Beatles are ugly". After working for the brand for a few years however all of that changed. It is a strong community full of very loyal followers. I admire it.

I must say however, not many of us wave. Since having my GTI, I have had one other GTI driver interaction on the road. They were very enthusiastic at that, and were trying to make up for all the tough guy sour faces I see. Honked at me even :D Thank you black GTI S APR stage II owner, you were very kind. I myself wave at my fellow kamerades, I usually get the dead, motionless hand at the 12 o'clock position in return. Just curious what others felt, do you just wave at GTIs like yours? Or are there other stipulations? Lol. I just don't want to be one of two guys who wave.

"Beetles"

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
‘Comrades’

ThatWhiteRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
I saw a Beetle driving wildly in traffic during my commute home yesterday.

I somehow approached then passed this Beetle; it was stop-and-go traffic at that point so I glanced at the driver to get a look at the maniac behind the wheel.

To my surprise she was already looking at me and was so excited to see me. It was awkward so I quickly looked away. I felt like an ass and now she probably thinks GTI drivers are snooty :(

RebelGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I saw a Beetle driving wildly in traffic during my commute home yesterday.

I somehow approached then passed this Beetle; it was stop-and-go traffic at that point so I glanced at the driver to get a look at the maniac behind the wheel.

To my surprise she was already looking at me and was so excited to see me. It was awkward so I quickly looked away. I felt like an ass and now she probably thinks GTI drivers are snooty :(

I almost T-boned a red Beetle who had rolled through a stop sign while merging into the road I was on. It was so close that I had to swerve into opposite lane to avoid hitting them. I glanced at the driver and it was a man with a mustache. Now I don't trust any Beetle driver with a mustache.

That said if I saw a VW driver waving at me I'd wave back. That has only happened once though (that I noticed.)

ThatWhiteRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
I almost T-boned a red Beetle who had rolled through a stop sign while merging into the road I was on. It was so close that I had to swerve into opposite lane to avoid hitting them. I glanced at the driver and it was a man with a mustache. Now I don't trust any Beetle driver with a mustache.

Those Beetle drivers are something else :rolleyes:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I drive into Road America today and not 5 seconds past the gate a R driver waves to me in my lowly non-tuned 18 GTI SE. Respect.