GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels. Tell me what I need to know!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Soo... If I wanted new tires, but not new rims (I really like the Austin's), I've been looking at getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's in the same size as the stock tires... Do I need to do anything special other than get them mounted to the stock rims??

Oh, and I'm also noob. If you can't tell.

Not at all. Being the same size, there is no figuring if they will work. It's only when the inside diameter changes (wheel size) or when the outside diameter or width of the tire changes significantly. You'll find the outside diameter and width of tires vary up to a 1/4" or so between manufacturers.

Any more than this usual variance between manufacturers, you need to evaluate whether your wheel is wide enough to support extra width and/or your fenders will clear the tire, especially when you hit a big dip in the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_sizing

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just want to ensure before my purchase.

Looking to buy a set of OZ Ultraleggera 8x17” with ET48 and 5x112 bolt pattern in crystal titanium silver.

Whether ET48 fits Golf 7 Estate (non-sport suspension/springs) without any issues?

will do ok..but with an 8" rim the rim will be more exposed to curbing than my 7" rim....

I prefer narrower rims helps to protect the alloy...

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Not at all. Being the same size, there is no figuring if they will work. It's only when the inside diameter changes (wheel size) or when the outside diameter or width of the tire changes significantly. You'll find the outside diameter and width of tires vary up to a 1/4" or so between manufacturers.

Any more than this usual variance between manufacturers, you need to evaluate whether your wheel is wide enough to support extra width and/or your fenders will clear the tire, especially when you hit a big dip in the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_sizing
3y/o thread

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Soo... If I wanted new tires, but not new rims (I really like the Austin's), I've been looking at getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's in the same size as the stock tires... Do I need to do anything special other than get them mounted to the stock rims??

Oh, and I'm also noob. If you can't tell.

Hilarious. From noob to big turbo heavily modified gti.
Definitely an old thread