GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking brake when off by itself

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Might be a coincidence but the long term data does reset after a certain time/mileage. It's in the owners manual, but I can't remember the exact threshold.

Hopefully. Anyways I'm still recording every morning to catch the handbrake coming off.and also I'm still getting a wierd noise from clutch on biting point only the once every morning it's like a knocking noise definently sounds rotational.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The long term data resets after 100hrs of driving.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hopefully. Anyways I'm still recording every morning to catch the handbrake coming off.and also I'm still getting a wierd noise from clutch on biting point only the once every morning it's like a knocking noise definently sounds rotational.

VW seem intent on this not being a fault, only because they can replicate it by pressing the accelerator on startup. I'm insisting it's a fault because I'm not touching the accelerator, but they don't seem to be grasping the difference!

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Also today the I was stopped at lights with auto hold on then it just engaged the handbrake and turn red without me touching anything

Mike.B

I started the car up this morning as I took my foot of the clutch my parking brake disengaged without me touching gas or brake lucky I heard it disingaging or could of been a accident

Mine is exactly the same.

What does the handbook say regarding correct operation (cant look myself as I'm at work but will later).

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

What does the handbook say regarding correct operation (cant look myself as I'm at work but will later).

I haven't looked, but from what I've been told, correct operation would be that you can drive away and the parking brake will release seamlessly, but it should NOT release just by taking your foot off the clutch in neutral.

If you're having the same problem as us, I plead with you to log a complaint with your dealer and VWUK.

Mike.B

I haven't looked, but from what I've been told, correct operation would be that you can drive away and the parking brake will release seamlessly, but it should NOT release just by taking your foot off the clutch in neutral.

If you're having the same problem as us, I plead with you to log a complaint with your dealer and VWUK.

Okay well I am 100% certain this happens when I have the car in gear. But I need to check to see if the park brake disengages on the clutch when the car is in neutral.

Will check and report back after work.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Okay well I am 100% certain this happens when I have the car in gear. But I need to check to see if the park brake disengages on the clutch when the car is in neutral.

Will check and report back after work.

In gear would be normal operation - if you're in first and releasing the clutch, it'll try and move off. The issue we have is when the vehicle is in neutral.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!

Just to clarify u start your car not in gear and the hand brake disingaged by it self without u trying to drive anywhere or using the epb button. And it's random when it does it.mine happens about once a week on cold start

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Understood.

Car in neutral > clutch down > start car > release clutch: Park brake stayed on.

Will try a few more times.

That's right. It's all about engine speed; it needs to be slightly above 1,000 rpm when the clutch engages for the system to get confused.

I believe it's all about timing as to whether it happens.