GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions on TCU tunes

Golf R1

Ready to race!
I don’t think it changes anything in regard to that, but honestly I’ve never used it personally, seems like an option for those who cannot drive stick well.
You drive DSG, never use auto hold, and think it's only for those who can't drive stick?

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
Sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
You drive DSG, never use auto hold, and think it's only for those who can't drive stick?

Yep, it seems like an option that’s left over for a stick and especially helpful for those that have trouble starting on a hill. Personally I can drive, so I’ve never had any use for that feature in any manual car I’ve ever owned and still do but specifically on this platform both the R’s are dsg, so no, I’ve never used it on either. I’m assuming it’s similar to my old Sti which had this, or similar feature, I found it irritating and turned it off the first day and never used it again, or in any manual I’ve owned ever since.

Golf R1

Ready to race!
Yep, it seems like an option that’s left over for a stick and especially helpful for those that have trouble starting on a hill. Personally I can drive, so I’ve never had any use for that feature in any manual car I’ve ever owned and still do but specifically on this platform both the R’s are dsg, so no, I’ve never used it on either. I’m assuming it’s similar to my old Sti which had this, or similar feature, I found it irritating and turned it off the first day and never used it again, or in any manual I’ve owned ever since.
It's one of my favorite features on the R. Not having to hold the brake at stop lights is liberating! I can't find a reason not to use it with a DSG. It auto engages the parking brake once the car is put in park, which is another nice benefit. Not sure what the feature was like on earlier Rs or your Sti, but it pairs nicely with an MK7 DSG.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
It's one of my favorite features on the R. Not having to hold the brake at stop lights is liberating! I can't find a reason not to use it with a DSG. It auto engages the parking brake once the car is put in park, which is another nice benefit. Not sure what the feature was like on earlier Rs or your Sti, but it pairs nicely with an MK7 DSG.

Cool bud, agree to disagree. I hate the idea of taking my foot off the brake and the brake still being engaged until I hit the gas. I hate everything about it, in theory and in practice. But the nice thing about it, is the car can please both of us, you can use it and I never will :)

Back to the op, sounds like the ecu / tcu tuning retains this function, so it’s just all roses, get her tuned and enjoy. You’ll love it, even the auto hold if you choose lol

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
My Eurodyne Stage 2 DSG tune (big turbo, 7k rev limit) is pretty much perfect in D/S/Manual mode but is absolute garbage in launch control mode. It bogs on launch and short shifts in every gear (I can shift at 7k in normal driving but max at 6500rpm in LC). In LC mode at the track I'm missing a nice chunk of my powerband and so far they don't want to acknowledge the issue even though I've provided logs.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
My Eurodyne Stage 2 DSG tune (big turbo, 7k rev limit) is pretty much perfect in D/S/Manual mode but is absolute garbage in launch control mode. It bogs on launch and short shifts in every gear (I can shift at 7k in normal driving but max at 6500rpm in LC). In LC mode at the track I'm missing a nice chunk of my powerband and so far they don't want to acknowledge the issue even though I've provided logs.

Are you referring to Cobb launch control, or the Eurodyne TCU launch control?

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Eurodyne LC (not utilizing Cobb for this).

I highly recommend using the Cobb LC instead. Works great. You can alter launch RPM as well as dial plugs n level of slip. Just wanted to let u know in case you never used it.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I highly recommend using the Cobb LC instead. Works great. You can alter launch RPM as well as dial plugs n level of slip. Just wanted to let u know in case you never used it.

I'll have to give it a try! I don't think it will help with short shifting issue though.

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
I don’t think I’ll go with Cobb, UM has been around for long time and I had them for my mk6 R. Heard great things, just looking for feed back from everyone that has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
FYI, I previously thought my ED stage 2 dsg tune was great in D/S as well as manual modes and had great road manners but was awful with launch control due to short shifting (6500 vs 7000 in normal manual mode). I'm happy to report that ED has released a revised tune that looks to have corrected that problem. Seems solid right now.

racerboy55

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI, I previously thought my ED stage 2 dsg tune was great in D/S as well as manual modes and had great road manners but was awful with launch control due to short shifting (6500 vs 7000 in normal manual mode). I'm happy to report that ED has released a revised tune that looks to have corrected that problem. Seems solid right now.

If your car is mapped it might not be wise to rev past 6500 as power peak is btw 5500-6500 , believe that 6500 sifting point has been aimed for that scenario..

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
If your car is mapped it might not be wise to rev past 6500 as power peak is btw 5500-6500 , believe that 6500 sifting point has been aimed for that scenario..

I've got an upgraded turbo that carries power to 7k.