GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
What do you mean by stock Clubsport or R cooler?
My friend works at ECS and said when they tried to install this on a US car it did not fit. They are designed for the Euro crash bar. He was going to let me know what more when they take another look at it. But we are likely stuck with ordering Clubsport or R coolers.

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
The Golf R has an air to water heat exchanger in the right front of the bumper that flows into the oil filter housing water to oil cooler.

I believe the club sport uses the same setup, but can't confirm.
Thanks mate. You just answered one of my questions on the 7R. I have one and can see extra coolers left and right in lower corners in the bumper. I recon the other cooler is for DSG then?

Is this new VWR oil cooler kit a converter kit to allow oil to air cooling taking away the water heat exchanger or is it an extra cooling unit?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
My friend works at ECS and said when they tried to install this on a US car it did not fit. They are designed for the Euro crash bar. He was going to let me know what more when they take another look at it. But we are likely stuck with ordering Clubsport or R coolers.

Let us know if you find out more. I have the Racingline cooler on order. I reached out to DAP (from whom I ordered the kit) for fitment confirmation, but have not heard back.

Last edited:

teemmy

Ready to race!
Let us know if you find out more. I have the Racingline cooler on order. I reached out to DAP (from whom I ordered the kit) for fitment confirmation, but have not heard back.

Interesting - ECS tuning had a video of their sweepstakes car and it looks like they installed the oil cooler. Curious about fitment and install as well! I hit 270F on the track >.<

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Just received word that Racingline will produce a bracket for NA cars. A delay of 6-8 weeks in the initial delivery schedule is expected.

teemmy

Ready to race!
Don't know what I'm allowed to say lol, but my friend worked on the install/testing. From my understanding it needed modification and new brackets. I believe they were reaching out to VWR.

As for temps on track I panic'd at 230 with my IS12, this IS38 seems to run at 210 normally, I'm afraid what I'll see on track this year lol.

I've hit 277 with my is20 and is38 on the track... 230-235 is normal operating temp for when i ran the my is38 and my tomioka >.<

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
I've hit 277 with my is20 and is38 on the track... 230-235 is normal operating temp for when i ran the my is38 and my tomioka >.<
Same as me...
120 F ish on street and 280 F on track maxed out...

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I was under the impression that there is a thermostat is in the filter housing. I don't want any cooling if the oil temp is less than about 230 deg as indicated on the dash. That seems to be the normal temp, and I assume the car is designed to operate most efficiently at that temp.

And yes, I'm concerned about the oil filter. I wonder if that is a pre-production mock-up, and that an off-the-shelf filter will be used in the production unit. Don't know why they wouldn't just use the existing filter and housing.

Chuckable

Ready to race!
I was under the impression that there is a thermostat is in the filter housing. I don't want any cooling if the oil temp is less than about 230 deg as indicated on the dash. That seems to be the normal temp, and I assume the car is designed to operate most efficiently at that temp.

And yes, I'm concerned about the oil filter. I wonder if that is a pre-production mock-up, and that an off-the-shelf filter will be used in the production unit. Don't know why they wouldn't just use the existing filter and housing.

I emailed RacingLine yesterday (they got back to me right away) and they confirmed that their unit does not have an integrated thermostat. So, unless I'm missing something, it seems that the oil will be circulating all the time, thus lengthening warm-up time. Hope I'm wrong about this. Can anyone chime in?

RacingLine also wrote that they're still finalizing the price on the filters, but estimate the price at $25-$30.

Here's the content of the email:

"Is it thermostatically controlled in any way?
The system is pressure controlled and not thermostatic. The factory system is used in tandem.

How much are the replacement filters each, and from where are they available?
I've not finalized the pricing but likely $25-30."

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I don't see how this is going to work without a thermostat. The added cooling capacity of the cooler would seem to make it impossible for the oil to come up to operating temp in a benign environment.

I'm also not interested in a proprietary oil filter. I've had enough of single-source solutions.

I just cancelled my order.

Chuckable

Ready to race!
I don't see how this is going to work without a thermostat. The added cooling capacity of the cooler would seem to make it impossible for the oil to come up to operating temp in a benign environment.

I just cancelled my order.

Maybe just add an inline Mocal thermostat?