GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your 0.02: Car has been in MB service for 6 week snow

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
I know this is a v dub forum but believe me in my 10+ years on mbworld and my short time here I've come to appreciate peoples opinion on here more. So about 2 months ago, I got the SOS inactive or whatever light in my 17 c300. So upon service, they suggested the module or an airbag component needs to be replaced and the part needs to be ordered and shipped overseas. Was given a loaner (a barebones C class, although brand new) and send on my way. After 2 weeks, I called, and they claimed the part has not arrived. Happens, I get it. It's overseas, things can get complicated, theyre really busy, etc. At the 4 week mark I call, same answer. "The part has not arrived, and we do NOT know when it will arrive. We are also not sure if the part order went through. This is all we know" Well, I then proceeded to say that I think that's kind of an unacceptable answer at this point. The manager halfway agreed that it's not acceptable, and especially since he knows they might not receive the part anytime soon, he offered to cover 2 months payments and "detail" my car afterwards. Well, I also checked where they're storing the car, and it's been outside sitting in the sun, absolutely baking the leather (I dont have tint). They offered to cover the car which who knows if they did or not, I need to drop in and check. It's at the 6 week mark, and still no word. I understand these things happen. And no, it's not am AMG, it's a fully loaded 17 c300 thats my daily and I'm a repeat customer to this very large MB dealer in Northern California. I just can't believe I can't get a better answer than "We don't know when". Just wanted everyone else 0.02. Yes I do have a loaner and am not "out of a car", but I just feel there's a fissuring of principle here. Should I bother with corporate?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Call the headquarters and not the dealer. HQ will either do more than he dealer will offer or at least light a fire under the dealers a$$. Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I ordered camber plates from a shop in Poland from people who may not even understand English. I received them in less than a week.

It's now a worldwide economy, and effective worldwide commerce and shipping is to be expected. There's something wrong on either end of the communication chain.

Yes - go to corporate and shame them. You may get SWAG to boot.

adam1991

Banned
Really? Doesn't an attempt at repair need to be made first?

You taking it in, and them committing that it does need repair and that they would do it, is a repair attempt.

What triggers lemon law is the time. 30 days in the shop for one repair.

Don't know if you're covered under lemon law in your state. Find a lemon law attorney.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
You taking it in, and them committing that it does need repair and that they would do it, is a repair attempt.

What triggers lemon law is the time. 30 days in the shop for one repair.

Don't know if you're covered under lemon law in your state. Find a lemon law attorney.

Depending on the state, it can be time, attempts or both

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It seems inexcusable to me to have them say they are waiting for over a month for a part to come in. There has to be more than one source for a part. Tell them they can either rip it out of one of the cars on the lot or lawyer up.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
WTF, did it scan as an airbag module fault? If not, drive the dam thing until the part comes in. I always scan my car myself and figure out which part(s) indicate faulty and call the parts department to see if they have them in stock or if they're available the next day. Why didn't you take your car home, put it in your garage, and then use their car?

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
WTF, did it scan as an airbag module fault? If not, drive the dam thing until the part comes in. I always scan my car myself and figure out which part(s) indicate faulty and call the parts department to see if they have them in stock or if they're available the next day. Why didn't you take your car home, put it in your garage, and then use their car?

^^This. I wouldn't leave my car there for weeks when the part hasn't even come in and there's no ETA.
Also, I would NOT let them detail the car. They should be compensating you with covered payments and something else.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
UPDATE: The part eventually got to the dealer and they claim they will put it in this weekend. I did contact corporate and they are investigating for themselves within "lemon law" matters and will probe the dealer on everything. As with any SOS/airbag equipment, the dealer could not legal release the car to me. Trust me, I asked several times and asked to see the code. So, we'll see from here. They did offer to cover payments while the car was in, and of course I had the loaner to use. But at this point I'd like to see where it goes. My only concern is they left the car in the baking cali sun, so any damage (electrical components, leather baking, etc.) stemming from that needs to be thought/covered for should they arise.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'd like to see it in writing in state or federal laws where a dealer can legally keep a car unless there's an unpaid bill and they get a mechanic's lien.