GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory air duct with dual cut outs

Christophunkk

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
does anyone just sale the front with Dual inlet open that works with the stock intake?
Just like the Racingline R600 Cold Air Intake?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
does anyone just sale the front with Dual inlet open that works with the stock intake?
Just like the Racingline R600 Cold Air Intake?
You don't need to buy one. Just get a Dremel and drill out the inlet on your stock intake. If you really want to buy one ECS sells a carbon fiber one

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I dont get why the OEM is blocked off? what is the logic?

I've done a lot of experimental stuff with this and viewing under the hood of the new mk7.5s, I literally think they just made a mistake. I think they realized that it was blocked and did some testing and saw that a vacuum could pull air from the other side but that obviously this is not ideal..

They probably pitched it as "more weather proof." And we're so far gone the rabbit hole they just decided to leave it.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Why is that part sold in other countries? Why doesn't the American Golf have that piece?

That piece is not used on US spec VW to avoid a snow packed inlet, which is one of the myriad development tests the vehicles undergo. It snaps in/out which is too much to ask the lowest common denominator US driver to perform in the event of a packed inlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
That piece is not used on US spec VW to avoid a snow packed inlet, which is one of the myriad development tests the vehicles undergo. It snaps in/out which is too much to ask the lowest common denominator US driver to perform in the event of a packed inlet.
There is provision for a screw to secure it in place, too.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

jackalope

Ready to race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense!

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I also did one of my sides openings, but then realized it is all closed off right in front of it as well. Anyway I am sure it will help some. I also replaced the air filter while at it and found a dead animal in there...
I do recal hitting a small bird and it dissapeared... could I have sucked it in?
my car is garaged for the most part and I don't have animal in there for sure.

I think a dual filter mode is probably the way to go...
Meaning one round filter somewhere by the bumper so you don't suck in too much garbage in addition to the existing one...

jackalope

Ready to race!
I've done a lot of experimental stuff with this and viewing under the hood of the new mk7.5s, I literally think they just made a mistake. I think they realized that it was blocked and did some testing and saw that a vacuum could pull air from the other side but that obviously this is not ideal..

They probably pitched it as "more weather proof." And we're so far gone the rabbit hole they just decided to leave it.

I don't think it's accidental. The tube shape with the curve is molded into the left side, so it's clearly intentionally designed to only pull from the right and have a smoothly curving form all the way to the airbox.

When I cut mine, I just did the 2 right most holes and left the curved part

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
You can also get this blockoff plate through Ebay or E-Acca.